Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

361 - 379 of 379 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Got the flash kit within a couple days of paying the deposit ($500:icon_eek:, hope I get all of it back). Arranged to flash my car today over the phone with Oliver. All told it took about 1 hr. I had to install some remote desktop software and wait for the flash kit drivers to install on my PC. After that, all went smoothly. Oliver was very helpful.

So far so good. No CEL, EPC, ASR etc. I'll write a full review after I've had some time behind the wheel with the new tune.

PS...Got all $500 of my deposit back too! :D

·
Superman W8 Saves The Day!
607 Posts
I did 130 mph in my car tonight. Obviously the governor limiter is now disabled. It wanted to go faster but that was dangerous and stupid enough.

·
Superman W8 Saves The Day!
607 Posts
Yes, I had been to 122 and felt what seemed like a rev limiter on the engine. It just cut out and lost power.

P.S. my car has 235/35ZR19 tires and didn't feel very safe at those speeds

·
Registered
70 Posts
Most of that was playing around trying to learn the system and looking at other things. The ECM recode itself took almost no time or effort.

So far we have mavicman that still needs coding checked and corrected. Anyone else? Who has VCDS near Snowmass Village CO?

Moving forward, anyone that is planning on sending in a spare ECM needs to talk to Speed Tuning about checking the coding and making sure it is set up correctly for your specific car car. There are only like 4 variables that need to be set, but they do need to be set correctly.
I've been away from the forums for some weeks traveling and what not. I have had a coding mis-match CEL and the ESP light on the dash since I installed the tuned ECU. I have vcds and followed the procedure on Ross-Tech's wiki for re-coding, but the coding would not change. :confused: Steve, what process did you use to recode TheWay's box? My spare is a matching part number to the stock box, but the chassis digit in vcds is one off from what it should be. It's been a couple of weeks since I looked at it, and the laptop battery is dead, so I'll charge it up and re-read the car tomorrow to see what's what.

As an aside, around the time I installed the tuned ECU I had to replace all the PCV stuff, valve-cover gaskets/cam chain tensioner gasket, and the entire ignition system. These issues were totally unrelated to the tune, just kept the car off the road for a while as I tried to fit the work into my schedule. Since I got the car back into action, the throttle seems somewhat smoother, and it pulls just a little harder (perhaps), but no dramatic change on the V6 performance. The changes could have been from installing a properly functioning ignition system. Maybe it'll improve some more once the ECU coding is sorted out.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
To recode you click "Select" control module then click on "01-engine" then click on "coding-07". You'll get a page that shows the current coding and VCDS should pop up a little box that tells you the breakout of what each number means. You edit the coding to what it should be then hit "Do It!". You then hit "close controller, go back-06". Don't bother with where it says "WorkShop Code". Just edit where it says "Software Coding".

FYI, recoding also resets any trouble codes, zeroes fuel trims and resets all readyness monitors. That means you should check for trouble codes and write them down before recoding.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
A proper tune shouldn't be effected by clearing codes. I remember reading about one company whose tunes needed to be redone after a clear but I forget which company that was. Clearing codes will also reset fuel trims so the car will need to relearn those. Did you notice a performance change after the clear?

361 - 379 of 379 Posts