Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know our turbos need a nice flow of oil; not too hot as to coke and not to cold as to lose lubricating properties. A very fine process which DieselGeek has researched. Ultimately designing an oil cooler kit. Same makers of the loved shifter kit and other products for VWs/Audis.

Some have tried adding bigger filters and experimented with different oils. My turbo was just fried from oil coking the supply lines. A lot of engines have been plauged with low oil pressure, clogged screens. Sludging has been discussed as well. Obviously, oil can wreak havoc on our 1.8Ts if not properly cared for.

I plan on installing one soon to take good care of my new turbo and wanted to see who was in with me!

I am in talks right now with Jim at DieselGeek to get a group buy. If you are interested in the product, please put up a post to express interest and other comments concerns you might have.

DieselGeek site for oil cooler @ http://www.dieselgeek.com/oilcooler.htm

Thanks guys for your ear and your interest! :thumbup:

-Stephen.

UPDATE

The minimal modding shown below is not necessary on all B5s!!! So do not fret at the idea of grinding a small nub down.. you may not have to do it on your car. AEBs for sure don't need this. I believe some 2000s and 2001s and up will require that minimal tweaking.

Also, just got off the horn with Jim. Real honest guy and was enjoyable to speak with him. A chance of a GB is still in the works. He is concerned with discounting the oil cooler any lower. He already has a GB price on it actually. So the 150 flung out seems to be an actual loss for him and not possible. A less severe discount price is a loss that he has yet to determine if it is worth it : Loss leader? or just a loss?

Keep posting interest please.[/b]

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I've been looking for an oil cooler for our cars for awhile now, thats freaking sweet, and will definatly be in especially if the price is about 180 including shipping to the lower 48. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great glad to see ya'll are interested! The price right meow -no GB - is 190 shipped to your door. The more that join the list the merrier! And the healthier our 1.8Ts will get to run...

I will keep checking back for interest. I will keep ya'll posted on my communication with Jim @ DieselGeek.

No thoughts on pricing as of yet. TBD.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gentlemen, about the price that has yet to be decided. I am sure -as is common with GBs - the more the merrier. I will be sure to keep each of you posted with the information as soon as I become aware!

Wyxe - Check out the DieselGeek.com website for all information on the cooler. The purpose of the oil cooler is obvious. Jim of DeiselGeek said, "The kit is a no-brainer for any turbo car. I've never seen 100C on my 1.8T. My oil temp hovers around 90C. " This is from a recent correspondence. As for how it works... perhaps that is their secret discovered through engineering. The dimensional difference perhaps someone could chime in. Whatever it is minimal modding needs to be done to adapt this to our engine.

I quote the product information from the site listed in my initial post:

Note: You must remove the aluminum lug on the oil filter housing here* on the A4 chassis 1.8T and 2.0 engine cars for the cooler to fit. This also includes all Audi TT four cylinder engines. A Dremel tool works well for the task. Removal of the oil filter flange is not necessary. Just make sure to protect the sealing surface of the oil filter flange before using the Dremel to remove the lug.
&

1.8T & All Other Four Cylinder Cars Including Vanagon! (2.1 only) $190.00. Free Shipping shipping to U.S. addresses via USPS Priority Mail.

What you get: Dieselgeek.com Oil Cooler/Heat Exchanger, Longer Filter Stud, Oil Filter (You Must State Year & Engine When Ordering) We like to send the TDI filter since it holds 1/2 qt. more oil and works fine. It also has much more filter media for a lower pressure drop. Copper Sealing Ring for Oil Drain Plug.

Keep the interest flowing fellow Dubbers!

·
Registered
490 Posts
I am in also no matter what. I was planning on getting one of these anyways, so if he knocks off anything, that will be a bonus. Regards, Ray

·
Registered
388 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was just saying that our 1.8T cars already have a smaller oil/water heat exchanger on them.

90-100C (194F-212F) is about perfect for an oil temp. Engines like hot oil (not too hot, say over 220F) and cold air. You may see about a 5-7F temp drop, or not. Think about it. If your oil temp is at 190F (90C) now, how are you going to cool it with 190F (90C) water? You might cool your oil better by exchanging your 190F thermostat with a 180F one.

As far as warming your engine in the winter. It may help warm your oil faster, but then the oil pump is constantly pumping, while the water isn't really moving fully through the thermostat until it reaches 190F (90C). So would that mean that your all your oil is already heating up faster than your water? Not sure if I got this right. Help?

As far as being able to use a bigger oil filter...More $ in oil and filters, but I think having a bigger filter is going to help me get more out of my oil.

I have had nothing but a positive experience buying from Jim at Dieselgeek, he bent over backwards to help with the shortshifter group buys. And I'm not trying to crap on this group buy. I'm as interested as anybody in keeping my turbo working as long as possible. I'm just kinda wondering if my $200 may be better spent on quality synthetic oil and a 180F thermostat.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wyxe -

Your words are appreciated.

I suppose the cost is only justifiable if the product is justifiable. As you said DeiselGeek sells some quality items and he is very willing to help the VW community. He says his oil hovers about that range, never to exceed 100C. What results does the thermostat give?

And you are right, it doesnt make sense: something at X temprature can cool something else also at X temprature. That is becuase this is true. Some thermodynamics fundementals would agree that if A is at X Farenheit, and B is at X Farenheit : A and B are in thermal equilibrium. So to lower the thermal equilibrium the temprature must also be lowered. Knowing that temprature is a the measure of the average kinetic energy in a system.. if we make that system larger we have lowered the temprature; i.e., using a hairdryer to heat your hair or using that same hair dryer to heat your house.. the same amount of kinetic energy over differing volume systems. That's what Mr. Wizard would say.

Ultiamtely, honesty will bring about the wisest choice. I could justify the DG oilcooler. Now if there is a cheaper method to succeed with similiar results??

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
What is with the different oil filter that comes with these kits??? do you have to use more oil in ur engine or a different filter after getting this oil cooler???

·
Registered
388 Posts
Thanks PassatVariantPunk (man, that is long, can I just call you PVP?) for that explanation.

This makes more sense to me now. It will not make your oil any cooler, but it should be more efficient in maintaining a constant temp of 90C due to more volume. So it really comes into play when you are sitting at a red light on a 100F day, or during spirited driving with heavy use of the turbo and your oil temps want to spike to 110C - 120C. These are the times when I start to worry if my oil is cooking off and sludging.

Thanks again. Your info, and a good night's sleep made things clearer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey Y'all:

This is Jim from dieselgeek.com. I appreciate the interest in my oil cooler kit but unfortunately, there is little room to discount them. I will, however, give a $10 kickback on every kit ordered for the remainder of March '04 which brings the kit down to $180 which includes Priority Mail shipping (only) unless you are outside of the U.S.. I will grant the same discount to foreign orders as well. All orders must be placed online. The $10 kickback will take up to three extra days to show up on your account since I don't batch out the credit cards every day.

This oil cooler is simply a larger version of the heat exchanger that is currently on top of your oil filter. it has more surface area and thus transfers oil heat more efficiently to the coolant circuit. All new Porsches use this type of oil cooling. It works very well and is very simple to install with no external oil lines to rupture. And to answer Wyxe's question, the coolant that circulates through this type of cooler is from the same circuit as the heater core and gets hot fast since it cools the engine before the thermostat opens. In other words, the two items that need to get hot fast, the heater core and oil cooler, get their coolant before the tstat opens so they warm up faster. After the tstat opens, the oil temp is more closely regulated to 190F, the coolant temp. Those wascally engineers are smart!

All engines with the water pump that is run by the timing belt (06A block) will hafta grind down the little aluminum lug as shown earlier in this thread. Most engines will not need this operation as they are the external water pump engines or the "058" block (AEB being the most common).

I am selling the kits with the stock 06A 115 561B or 034 115 561A oil filter since they are not going to generate any debate on whether they work right with the 1.8T. The TDI filter works fine and holds more oil, though. The bigger cooler and bigger filter put the longitudinal 1.8T's oil capacity at the same amount as the transverse 1.8T engine's stock 4.3 quarts...

The oil cooler is certainly a value add for any turbo engine. Once you have one in your car, the added peace of mind will go way beyond $180...

Jim
dieselgeek.com

·
Registered
24 Posts
Scuba2001 said:
Stephen, keep me posted. I have to find a way to eliminte the SMIC, because with that in the way, the air flow through the IC, AND through the oil cooler will amost be non existant. Time fr a FMIC in the near future I think. Keep me posted though.
With the dieselgeek cooler you don't have to worry at all about airflow through the SMIC. The coolant radiator sheds the extra heat very efficiently with it's huge surface area.

Jim

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
14 Participants
swett
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing