Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let ordering commence (follow instructions below, quoted from email):
http://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/pp10471.html
thats link for the power pulley system. It shows $99.99 + shipping. When people add this into their basket, and then confirm checkout with their credit cards, we will ONLY charge them $85 IF they state in the COMMENT area that they were from the GB. Without this note, we will be charging $99.99 so make sure they state it.

As for the underdrvive pulley, i will be lsiting those soon under the same section. I will also be adding these items in the S4 and A4 section soon.

Please be kind and inform the forums, thanks!
It was stated these are identical to the Unorthodox Racing pulley sets. Please see dyno below, should be identical gains.

Dyno of UR pulley set (compliments of vimalv617):

Here are the prices as quoted:
Two piece alternator and power steering
$85 + shipping

crank pulley
$60 + shipping

For those who participated in the Autospeed Performance pulley group buy a couple years ago, this may interest you.

Nenad has the three pulley set, I think all are ECS. He said there is no known difference from the alternator and pwr steering pulleys. However, I plan to couple this with an electronic fan kit (removing the stock pulley) and feel all of these should work well together. Additional motivation for joining the group buy; the total price is $145 for the three piece set, approximately the price of buying a crank pulley alone from sources such as ECS, ASP, or UR.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Not to hijack your thread, but note that UR dyno plot is for the 3 piece underdrive pulley set. I think most of the gain is from the crank pulley weight reduction, a little more for underdriving.
Good luck - I was very satisfied with my UR set.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yah, but i dont know what my particular 2002.5 V6 is stock, excatly at the wheels. TJ
I'm not sure what you are saying. However, the dyno graph, as far as my understanding goes, shows hp at the wheels for a stock V6 Passat and a V6 Passat with the power pulley kit.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
are these worth buying? do u notice much difference?
I never heard a complaint out of anyone who purchased a crank pulley for their V6. Additionally, members here have paid more for just the crank pulley. With this you are definately getting more for your money and it should yield slightly higher increases.

·
Registered
715 Posts
What is the turnaround time for the parts and how much labor is involved with install?

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
is the crank pulley just lightened or is it underdriven? im getting confused :rolleyes: haha. also, any more advancments on that electric fan gb?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have too much to accomplish with not enough time; therefore, the electronic fan kit gb will not be started any time soon. If someone else would like to start one, that would be great.

The installation of the crank pulley and the power steering pulley are easy. The most difficult will be the alternator. Additionally, there are two different types of alternators the Passat is assembled with. You'll need to determine which brand yours is. A mirror at the time of oil change should accomplish this. However, if you get the wrong one, I'm sure there will be no problems exchanging for the correct one.

Additionally, this would make a great time for someone to create a writeup and get their name into the information base forum. Everything with the pulleys is not difficult providing you have the correct tools.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Are these idential in terms of weight and dementions as well as quality?
If i have no mechanical skills and no garage, what might my mechanic charge to install these? I assume the bumper doesn't need to come off?
Are there any issues with these compared to the stockers?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are these idential in terms of weight and dementions as well as quality?
as compared to the unorthodox racing set? These (OBX) seem to be slightly lighter, but then we don't know the calibration status and uncertainties of the scales they were weighed on.
nm said:
If i have no mechanical skills and no garage, what might my mechanic charge to install these? I assume the bumper doesn't need to come off?
Power steering is easy, but you have to remove the accessory belt.
Crank pulley was simple, but the bumper will have to be removed and the lock carrier pulled forward (you won't need to completely put the lock carrier in service position).
The alternator should be simple once the bumper is removed and the serpentine belt is off. It just requires a tool to pull the pulley, which is very common.
nm said:
Are there any issues with these compared to the stockers?
Some state the crank pulley is a harmonic dampner. However, bentley does not refer to it in this manner. Additionally, Unorthodox racing claims a harmonic dampner will be installed in a much more permanent manner (pressed on). The crank pulley is bolted in to 30lb/ft of torque, very little to be a harmonic dampner if you ask me. Third, World Impex foreign auto parts refers to the bolt on the crank as the harmonic bolt. This bolt is tightened at over 100lb/ft of torque and turned an additional 180 degrees. No known problems have arose from any V6 with the crank pulley, and there are a few with a lot of miles on it (Nenad probably had it on the longest, over 4 years now).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts