Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061028/ap_on_re_us/patriot_act_lawsuit_1

DETROIT - The American Civil Liberties Union on Friday dropped a lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of the USA Patriot Act.

The ACLU said it was withdrawing the lawsuit filed more than three years ago because of "improvements to the law." The Justice Department argued last month that amendments approved by Congress in March 2006 had corrected any constitutional flaws in the Patriot Act......
Not that I base my opinions on what the ACLU says, but at least one "big gun" against the Patriot Act is gone. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
They didn't say it was OK as a whole, just one part.

"The group also said it is continuing its legal fight against a more frequently used provision of the Patriot Act that authorizes national security letters. Such letters allow the executive branch of government to obtain records about people in terrorism and espionage investigations without a judge's approval or a grand jury subpoena."

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They didn't say it was OK as a whole, just one part.

"The group also said it is continuing its legal fight against a more frequently used provision of the Patriot Act that authorizes national security letters. Such letters allow the executive branch of government to obtain records about people in terrorism and espionage investigations without a judge's approval or a grand jury subpoena."
I think it is more like they are saying it is okay as a whole, they just have a problem with one part.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
It's all theoretical versus reality. The potential for somebody's rights to be violated is theoretical. The Trade Center massacre was reality.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts