Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I feel bad for whoever designed how the starter was bolted to the engine... he must have had a hard day and took it out on the design... frig this is awful

View attachment 99064
Sometimes it helps me to imagine the design engineer's name is Wolfgang Müller. Then instead of screaming profanity, I ask, "Wolfgang, vot vere you sinking?" Then Wolfgang clarifies (in my imagination) that "Ze design is precisely korrekt for zis purpose and perhaps a lack of mechanical abilities is ze source of ze frustration." ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sometimes it helps me to imagine the design engineer's name is Wolfgang Müller. Then instead of screaming profanity, I ask, "Wolfgang, vot vere you sinking?" Then Wolfgang clarifies (in my imagination) that "Ze design is precisely korrekt for zis purpose and perhaps a lack of mechanical abilities is ze source of ze frustration." ?
That was a jab at my abilities, not yours. You've done impressive work already.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Haha, don’t worry, I’ve got thick skin (with callouses). I still call foul on Wolfie‘s design. There’s a whole other side to the engine, and another orientation to play with.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
My take on this stuff is it's the price paid for having so many interchangable parts. So even while parts from an Audi or many years of VW can interchange they often are not perfectly accessible for maintenance. And besides, it was Hans who was the idiot that made all the poor design changes. I can almost hear his evil laugh now....

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
... it was Hans who was the idiot that made all the poor design changes. I can almost hear his evil laugh now....
I can see Christoph Walz reviving his Hans Landa character for this (Inglourious Basterds - 2009)

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
It's so nice to work with shiny new parts.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I’m glad I kept the old heat shield and cleaned it up

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
I can't see the starter term 50, term 30 looks a bit corroded but I doubt that is a problem.
The braided wire that goes from the term next to term 30 to the starter might be a problem.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts