Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If you need the cam tool to do the timing belt, ask Robin in Maine (RQJ) if he can send it to you.
That's very kind, but I wouldn't want him to incur shipping costs to igloo-land up here.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
That's very kind, but I wouldn't want him to incur shipping costs to igloo-land up here.
Um, I think Hirnbeiss was meaning the tool could be 'borrowed' but you would incure the shipping cost.
Cheaper than buying the cam bar and crank pin.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I got the borrowed part haha - I'd never assume to just take it. But I need to buy the whole kit, I think; water pump, thermostat, tensioner, etc, etc, so not sure if I can buy such a kit without the bar. I guess piece by piece? Dunno but piecemeal may be more expensive... But it was a wonderful offer, thanks!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
The cam bar and crank pin might come with a 'deluxe' kit but I'd guess most kits won't include them and you will need to buy them separately. They are pretty worthless for anything except V6 timing belt changes so it's a good thing to rent or borrow if you can.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Maybe I could open a Timing Belt resort or a ‘retreat’ for 1998-2005 V6 Passat owners to come and have their timing belt changed or help them do it themselves! We might get lots of use from one bar, or perhaps would have to order more! “Come enjoy the wilds of the Saint John river and loosen your belts!”... you’d all have to come after the Pandemic... Blauparts has a deluxe kit with that bar and so much more

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
^^ That is AWESOME!!

·
Registered
26,992 Posts
I think the Passat parking pic was around 2007. The 1st pic was 2011.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Guys - what’s the size of bolts for the #50 and #30 posts on the starter??

finally got the front bolt undone..

I removed the CV joint shield (?) for better access:

and then used a couple of u-joints to loosen the top front facing bolt...

but what’s the size of the #30 & #50 post bolts?

thanks!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Never mind - both are 13mm

pro-tip: remove those leads before loosening the starter bolts..

it easily comes out from under once you remove the shield on the capacitor and move the wire leads out of the way:

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Yikes! That looks pretty crusty. And your an ATQ motor, bummer. Those starters are not cheap. Price range $200 - $560. And, there was a split in the 2004 model year. You're going to have to use your VIN# to select the proper starter.
I would consider RockAuto.com. They have a starter selection that is much more budget friendly.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Starter cost for my VIN:
Dealer: $394 CAN for rebuilt
Car Quest: (Canadian parts store) $256 CAD

with the igloo- USD exchange right now, you guys should buy your parts up here!! Cheaper even if you throw in shipping and duty.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
just curious , did you "bench" test it ? That would confirm your "initial" posts as to your why? "no start" condition.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
I think the order was... alternator always charging dead battery for the last year... finally gave up the ghost and died... after seizing, the old (probably original) starter crapped out trying to overcome a seized alternator... But I may still bench test it... Honestly, I'm questioning the need based on the state and age of the starter... ie why bother... lol

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
$84 US shipped to J0E 1B0 (random Canadian postal code) from Rockauto for Chinesium new “Power Select “.

·
Registered
26,992 Posts
While you have the car apart, it's a good time to replace the front brake lines. I noticed in the pic that the rubber line is wearing right where it is attached to the hard line on the body. It will eventually blow out at that spot.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts