Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how normal this is...

I have an 03 1.8t...5spd...When I take off I have a slight hesitation seems to me...it occurs at the low RPM's and is pretty consistent...seems to get the car rolling, lose a little power then kick in with constant smooth acceleration...It's been a while since I had a manual tranny and I attribute some of this to me not being fully adept at driving stick, but just to check last night I revved it up at a light and let the clutch out fast just to see...the tires chirped, it hesitated then took off like a bat out of hell..I only have 9k on it and am wondering if any of you have had experience with this...I had a 2000 v6 that I drove that did the same thing....except it was auto. They said that it was a fuel injection thing that can be fixed....anyone know if I have a problem or is this just something I have to live with with off the line acceleration ??? Sorry first turbo and first VW...I did a search and couldnt find anything relevant.

-cbx :???:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't own a VW, yet, but have been test driving passats and jettas for the past 3 months and have found that with any engine/transmission combination there is a half-second hesitation just after punching the accelerator. The cars seem to start going, then pause acceleration, then continue accelerating perfectly after the pause. I've driven probably 9 VW's that have this problem, the only one that seemed to not have as much of a problem was an 02 Passat GLX 5 speed, but that car had been salvaged and rebuilt completely by an individual.

Since I don't own one of these cars, I don't know how to fix the problem, but I'm sure there is some part you can replace that will solve this.

Good luck :wink:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Had it. Throttle body clean up and adaptation with VAG-COM fixed it. You probably just need to adapt TB. :thumbup:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sneg said:
Had it. Throttle body clean up and adaptation with VAG-COM fixed it. You probably just need to adapt TB. :thumbup:

How do I go about pursuing this process?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Search posts for "throttle body". You'll find plenty of info. But in general to do proper adaptation you'd need to either get VAG-COM or find somebody with VAG-COM in your area. Look in the information section for a list of people who has VAG-COM (VAG-COM Locator). Not many people had luck with this list but it's worth trying.

As far as cleaning, seeing that you have 03 you proabaly won't need it. But here is one of the posts that tells how to do it.

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=69814&highlight=throttle+body&sid=23f459cfa533150761ac67f33577d17c

·
Registered
941 Posts
Its called Turbo Lag… get used to it and leave the throttle body alone… If it needs cleaning after 9k miles, you have a problem :nervous: . I felt the same thing when I first got my B5… then I remembered how to drive a turbo. Turbo’s feel like their bogging down just before the turbo spools up. Some less others more. Don’t floor it, come on to the turbo smoothly, but swiftly. As soon as you feel it spool dig into the throttle.

Remember, engines idle, wake up and go back to sleep again… Turbo’s just help them wake up a little quicker. It take some time and miles to “learn” when your engine does this. Once you do you’ll enjoy the car more. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Elias said:
Its called Turbo Lag… get used to it and leave the throttle body alone…
I second that. If this is you first turbo, then i completely understand your confusion. You will find that from 1000-3500rpm your car will accelerate as if it were neutered, but once the turbo screams you'll be enjoying a quick rev range from 3500-6800rpm (shift at around 5800rpm if you want to maximize the use of your HP and ft.lbs :thumbup: )

.merk20vt'

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just thinking. His complain is not about car not having power at low RPMs. It is about an uneven acceleration at low RPMs. Car starts than stumbles then go again. All this at low rpms when his turbo has not kicked in. TB or not TB? :wink:

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have stock '03 1.8T trip and I'm just now starting to get used to the horrible lag. I guess 3 things are contributing to the hessitation: 1) small displacement engine equals low torque; 2) automatic transmission slippage and 3) turbo lag.

At least with a 5-speed you have better control of the RPM. I tried toying with the the semi-auto trip but gave up on it. a) Going into a sharp curve, I can't downshift from 4th to 2nd without going thru 3rd and b) I can't tell which gear I'm in by feel -- I have to keep looking down at those red display.

I wish I got the manual, but my better-half can't drive a stick.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I always have felt a little blip at 2800 RPM from brand new to now with chip and various other mods. I read on audiworld somewhere that it was due to the variable valve timing, there is a change that occurs at around 2800rpm.

Turbo lag is most noticeable when you floor it when you are at 2000RPM and you get this non-linear acceleration.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sneg said:
Just thinking. His complain is not about car not having power at low RPMs. It is about an uneven acceleration at low RPMs. Car starts than stumbles then go again. All this at low rpms when his turbo has not kicked in. TB or not TB? :wink:
YES! That is it...starts out a bit, then seems to bog (split second) then vrooooooom!...I do feel the lag a bit when shifting especially in the lower gears...I'm pretty sure I have the lag accounted for...SNEG nailed it!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Guys, I have a 2003 glx v6 30v auto and at 7500 at low rpm acceleration im having the same damn thing. funny thing is today when im driving in city trafic at 50mph then have to slow down cause somone is turning in at their block - slow to 15mph then press on the gas gently not flooring in or even pressing down gas hard the car spudders like 1 2 3 4 times. its totally random but i can duplicate it. 11.5kmiles on the car and it still does the same thing. even when the dealer replaced an ignition wire. still same problem.

I am finding this problem not only Anoying but outright dangerous. what is someone is behind u and when ur accelerating ur losing power or not freely accelerating. BOOM the guy behind u will either get to close for comfort or flip u off for driving like a granny.

3 times at dealer still no resolution.

Its seems that when i am slowing down and accelerate slowely that the tranny is still on fifth gear in auto... not compensating for the reduction to speed properly. i can recreate this spudder also on tiptronic leave it on fifth gear slow down and boom accelerate slowely in trafic and Cough Cough Cough. this spudder disappears when i press the gas more aggressivly. problem is u cant accelerate aggressivly in all situations hense i view this as a Dangerous pattern...

i finally called VW customer service to complain. lets see if anyone can freaken figure this out cause for a brand new car to spudder on acceleration i dont care what model it is can be dangerous.

hope my info helps. and i hope i can here some peoples responses.

losing my patience and confidence in VW...
ganx14
2003 passat glx v6 30v
only 11.5k over a yr old so u can tell i baby it... NO MODS... all Original.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Since VW went Drive by Wire this has appeared to be a common complaint and there doesn't seem to be a fix. The ECU controls the throttle and apparently it doesn't respond for a few milliseconds which seems like eternity when traffic is bearing down on you.The cable operated throttle was much more responsive and there was no lag. A few times I floored it to get out into traffic and I thought the engine had died. Scary! Just have to anticipate it and drive accordingly.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I agreed. VW's engines are all DBW since 2000. The TB is electronic control. So you won't get the same feel as the throttle that is cable-link to the gas pedal.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I have a 2001 Passat with the 1.8T and a manual and i don't really have any prob with throttle delay. Maybe its how the DBW throttle reacts with the tip. I know 2002 and up Infiniti Q45's have this problem and i guarantee its worse and people complain all the time.....in fact there was even a recall for it to change the type of gas pedal but it only helped somewhat. With teh Q45 the purpose was to cut back throttle so that the car doesn't jump off the line harshly but its very annoying and get u almost killed in traffic.

·
Registered
168 Posts
if that is the case then why did i not feel it the first 7500 miles. everything was super smooth and i never got those coughes... it only happens with im in slower trafic city drive 50miles an hr have to slow to 15 to then slowely accelerate.

if there is no fix for this then im extremely disappointed because the caugh or hesitation is very obvious it isnt that there is no power its like a caugh and the engine moves u definatly can feel it in the peddle...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
16 Participants
1BadWGN
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing