Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over past two summers my AC has been getting weaker and weaker. I tested the pressure and it's appropriate for the ambient temperature, 50-55 psi or whatever the unit of measure is.

The issue I am having is at stand still my air goes from coolish, to hot. Once we get moving again it cools off to coolish again. The exterior temperature here isn't THAT hot, 90 degrees or so. I do not believe this is a leak, i just think the freon is worn out. 101k miles on the engine. How do i go about evacuating the system in order to recharge it with good freon.

Thanks

Keith

·
Registered
26,611 Posts
Freon does not wear out. If you don't know how to evacuate the system, you should not attempt it.

I would check to make sure the electric fan is working on high speed when the a/c is on. It sounds like the condenser is not getting cooled enough.

·
Registered
241 Posts
x2 on the fan. same symptoms as yours, was only 90 degrees out as well. noticed the electric fan wasn't coming on even with the A/C switched on. new fan and it's ice cold again even stuck in traffic on a hot day.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the EXACT same problem with mine. I KNOW its my condenser fan seized. My sensor is sending the signal but the fan wont turn. I did the research and found the cheapest OEM fan available at rockauto.com for about $70. For me that's too much. Its a freakin fan. $70 for a fan is way too much. I found this fan on Ebay shipped for less than $40. I'm going to remove the old fan, splice some wiring with the old connector and it will have to be mounted to push air from in front of the condenser instead of behind but it will work just fine. In fact it should work even better because its quite a bit larger than OEM.

I would have wrapped this project up last weekend but I got stuck helping my buddy with a "10 minute mod" on his BMW that ended up taking 6 hours. :mad:

·
Registered
26,611 Posts
You need to diagnose the fan 1st as it may be a relay, temp sensor or even a fuse that failed.

·
Registered
26,611 Posts
Electrical is not my strong point, so generally I avoid that area. 1st, check the fuses. You can use a test light to see if the fan gets power. If it gets power and does not turn, the fan is bad. If it does not get power, you can scan the car with a vagcom to see if the temp sensor is bad. Don't know enough about the relay to say.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts