Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my B5 with a middle A/C drivers side vent that didnt work...so I popped out the vent with butter knifes and i had to remove the side controllers on each side. I noticed that the small black notch had broken off and the toothed gear was just floating around. I was able to take a drill and drill a small hole where the notch was before....however I had to flatten it out a bit. Then I had some loose plastic laying around and was able to make a make shift notch...little crazy glue and i was done. Worked like a charm, so far.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Good job - :thumbup: hope I can do the same. Any tips on removal? Did it just slide out when you depressed the clips?

I tried once and but quit because I was paranoid about prying on the dash and vent and trashing something.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used three butter knifes. The tabs up top are the ones I was mostly working on to get the vent out. Pry upwards while pulling gently on the vent. The three tabs are located: Two inches from each side and one dead smack in the middle. It's a little scarey getting them out but the dash does have some flex and will mold back into it orginial shape. Just be careful not to cut the dash.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts