Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My AC doesn't seem as cold as it did last year. I see cans of crap at Autozone to refill the AC system.

How much work is it to do on a 2003 passat? Is it worth doing yourself or should I just take it to the dealer and argue with them that it should be covered in the B2B?

·
Registered
666 Posts
DIY, you have to buy or borrow the a/c refill hose (like $15) and a can of duPont 143a ($5), I think. Run your car and turn on the a/c for like 2 minutes before recharging. Oh yeah, the nipple for the hose is right in front of your cabin filter housing.

·
Registered
333 Posts
There are two nipples in the cabin-filter area under the hood. Which one is the re-charge valve? or I should ask which one is the low pressure valve? (I know we cannot recharge on the high pressure valve).

Many many thanks for your AC Class 101.

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
To be honest, if the AC was not working on my 2003 car I would let the dealership sort the problem out.
Don't just go willy nilly adding refrigerant without first finding out what the problem is.
Adding too much is as bad as there not being enough.

·
Registered
732 Posts
2003. Hmmm. v6er is right to caution that.

If you decide to do anything yourself, get one of the $20 cans with R134a, oil and seal reconditioner in it, and it has a pressure guage.

As you're facing the engine (standing in front of the car), the low press valve/coupling is the one on the right (of the two valves). Hook the can up to that but just watch the pressure. (You are using gloves and safety goggles, right? Right!?)

Then turn on the AC to max for a couple minutes (engine running). If your pressure is low, then you can add some, using the guage to tell how much. If it's not, you've got another problem. In any case you own a basic A/C pressure guage and have done some prelim diagnosis for $20, or you can give the unused can to a friend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.