Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys, my ac died recently and naturally I have no idea why. I tried to check if my relay was dead by jumping pins 30 and 87 as suggested by Steve in an older post and I do hear the clutch engage and I hear the clutch engaging, but nothing turns on and so I don't think that is the problem.

Here's how things are looking. I have manual ac, fan does not turn on when set to hot or cold. Pressing the ac button does not turn on the ac light, but the recirculate air button does lightup when pressed and I can hear the servo turning inside to perform that action.

If someone knows what's going on I would greatly appreciate the help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So something interesting happened on my drive tonight. I had reinserted the relay module and checked all fuses(the fuses were fine) and on my drive i decided to press the ac button again just for kicks and i actually heard the relay click on and off as i pressed it. Although for some reason it seemed the fan was blowing very lightly even while stopped, but i was not able to change the fan speed. It would seem still no cold air though. Perhaps the console is faulty?

·
Registered
9,371 Posts
What is the engine code ?
Is there 12V at both ends of fuse F25/30A ?
Does the electric coolant fan run when A/C is switched on ?

The A/C switch assembly is a likely suspect, follow a wiring diagram and check that the voltages are correct for the switch positions.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,112 Posts
...but i was not able to change the fan speed. It would seem still no cold air though. Perhaps the console is faulty?
For the A/C to engage, the button has to be pressed AND the fan has to be on, i.e. the knob in anything other than the first position. High probability either one or the other switch is bad. Bad news is, the panel is replaced as a whole; good news is, it's (comparatively) inexpensive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello there again, sorry for the long delay in replies. I was away on a trip but now I'm back and I found my problem.

The problem was indeed in the switches. I took apart the manual hvac controls as per the following instructions, jump straight to instruction #13 if all you're concerned about is getting to your hvac controls
Heater Core Swap - PassatB5

I found the wiring diagram for the ac switches
http://www.vems.hu/files/MembersPage/PeterJensen/el diagram alt 2000.pdf

The fan control wiring is in the top left hand corner. I jumped the two blk/blu wires leading to the white wiring harness in the first picture below and behold my fan worked for the first time in months, thus leading me to believe the hvac control panel is in fact broken.

So I pulled the controls out and found there was a little piece of metal that had nearly fallen out. I couldn't see where it belonged so I disconnected everything and took the panel apart.

Once I took a look inside I could immediately see the fan switch had broken and the piece of metal that was supposed to complete the fan circuits had broken out of it's seat. I super glued it back in place and now all is dandy. Below are some instructions as to how I did it.

First I took pulled out the controls and disconnected the pulleys and wiring harness. I took a picture of mine so I new which colored pulleys go back to which spots.
disconnectingcontrols.jpg

I then proceeded to remove the knobs from the controls in order to remove the black faceplate.
pullingoffbuttons.jpg

You should be able to just yank off the knobs, but I found it easier to go from the back with a flat head or something and push that clear plastic cylinder directly behind the knob out. The center knob however will need to be yanked out because you cannot access it from the back. And it is very tough...
pullingoffbuttons2.jpg

Once the knobs are out I had to gently pry off the ac and recirc switches like so
pryoffswitches2.jpg pryoffswitches.jpg

continued...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Gently pry the clips away from the top face now that you have all the switches and knobs off. There were a total of 5 for me.
removingblackfaceplate.jpg

Lift off the black face plate and lift away the clear light distribution piece shown below.
removedfaceplate.jpg

This should expose the underlying fan switch. And here was my problem. It looks like the piece of plastic holding that metal piece had broken letting the metal piece fall out. Looking closer it looks like completing the fan circuit generates some amount of heat, because there is some melted plastic there....
problem.jpg

I went ahead and stuck the piece back in place and added a dab of gorilla glue and let it set overnight.

fixed2.jpg

here's a shot of from the side that shows you where that metal piece is supposed to slide along and complete the circuit for the 5 fan settings.
operation.jpg

After the glue set and I checked for continuity between the various switch settings I reassembled everything reinstalled the panel. Going to recharge the AC right now and drive for the first day this summer with AC. oh the joy~

Thanks everybody who helped out by giving me ideas.

Attachments

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
My fan speed control broke the same way as yours and I fixed it the same way you did. It's been problem free since.

Great writeup and pictures! I bet this will come in handy for a bunch of folks. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
7 years since the last post on this thread and after hours of digging through the internet I found it.
This solved my AC issue and saved lots of time and money.
One note: you can fix this issue without removing the HVAC controls from the car, you can just pry off the faceplate, remove the dials and the backing, and get to the little metal circuit bridge. If you do this method you should use something like electrical tape to fix the circuit bridge into place, instead of trying to use superglue with gravity against you.
Anyway, bless you for figuring this out!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts