Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone in the south have a problem w/their AC kicking in? It's been in the 100s the last few days down here in Orlando, FL and the AC is taking anywhere from 10-15 min just to kick in...

·
Registered
168 Posts
im in st pete its HOT. well send ur car into the dealer asap. if ur ac isnt working get it fixed... warrenty work unless ur car warrenty has expired.

also u could put ac to low position if it dont get cold in 5min something is wrong.

ganx14

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, but I figure its tha sweltering heat...its been gettin pretty hot down here...but after the sun goes down or towards sun-down, the AC blows cold air immediately so I figure all the heat has something to do w/it

·
Registered
168 Posts
its very possible ur a/c is low on the coolant that cools the ac... its a DIY job unless u want to send it to the dealer.

If u got a Horrible smell coming from ur A/C vent like 99% of all the passat owners do in the south - MILDEW crap smell take it in dealer must treat the ac system under warrenty 3 times before replacing the whole unit under warrenty.

that would be a great time to say hey wtf my ac dont get cold no more. please check it.

CHEERS and I LOVE Central Florida :)

ganx14
Silver
2003 glx v6 30v
15.5k miles

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
My solution to the moldy/funky smell in the AC, and proven to work on various friends' car:
* Take the pollen filter out
* Fill a spray bottle (like what you use to iron clothes) with diluted Dettol or similar disinfectant solutions OR buy AC smell remover product from local AutoZone/Pepboys
* Spray the above item into AC system intake vent under pollen filter
* Run MAX HEAT on your AC system
* Ensure the AC light is turned on if its a manual system, or if its Climatronic ensure it is NOT in ECON mode
* Keep car running for 30 minutes with all windows shut, then 15 minutes with all windows open
* Best results if car is under sun

·
Registered
25 Posts
I hear ya! Central FL has been H-O-T. I've got a similar issue, and if all it takes is a recharge, then I'm all for it. I know it's a DIY job, but anyone know where/what I can get instructions?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Yuta

·
Registered
712 Posts
To you VWinOrlando and yhsu, you guys got plans for this weekend?!? I have a friend at work who has the hose for refilling the freeon gas (134a). If you guys are up to it, we could get together this weekend and do it! My GF lives on vineland rd, about 0.5 miles from universal studios. Where are you guys at?! PM me if you guys are interested. BTW I have a Haynes manual, and it looks veeeery easy to do!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Got a busy wknd this time, but thanks for the offer! Maybe we can have a B5 GTG sometime. I remember one a few years back at Downtown Disney. Good luck with the AC... I'm gonna check for some DIY kits and call some AC shops. Lemme know what you end up doing!

·
Registered
25 Posts
FYI I stopped by the local SuperWalMart and picked up a can of R134a (w/lubricant & leak inhibitor). It came with a gauge, and after following the instructions on the can, the AC is back to full strength :)

I'm hoping the leak is small enough the inhibitor will take care of it. Otherwise, it's a visit to an AC shop. Here's hoping the AC lasts!

Cheers,
Yuta

·
Registered
712 Posts
yhsu said:
FYI I stopped by the local SuperWalMart and picked up a can of R134a (w/lubricant & leak inhibitor). It came with a gauge, and after following the instructions on the can, the AC is back to full strength :)

I'm hoping the leak is small enough the inhibitor will take care of it. Otherwise, it's a visit to an AC shop. Here's hoping the AC lasts!

Cheers,
Yuta
:thumbup: You might not have a leak at all! How long you've had your car for ?! I know you never recharged before (I don't know though if you ever took anywhere to recharge it). Maybe it was just low from the regular use.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.