Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When driving around with the air conditioning on, I've noticed that I no longer have the drip of water following me around in the parking lot. That would not upset me but occassionally that drip ends up in the front passenger seat (not a good thing). I'm worried about mold and bacteria build up.

Are there any write ups out there on how to unclog your evaporator drain on a '99 1.8T? I just spent the afternoon trying to get at the drain and after pulling back the heatshield, cramping my fingers and as a last resort, fiddling with a bent hanger, the closest I got to clearing the drain was lifting the flap back.

anyone had this before? i've searched and found a dozen stories about pollen filters, battery drains, sunroof drains etc, but nothing noteworthy on this topic. I've changed my pollen filter, but it's not a water intrusion issue, it's a water expulsion issue :)

thanks in advance

·
PassatWorld Elder
27,957 Posts
You can get to the drain from the inside. Pull the carpet up on the passenger side and near the top left of the footwell you will see the drain go thru the firewall. I removed my glovebox too but I am not sure if you need to. Unscrew the drain from the firewall and clean the "funnel" section, the drain thru the firewall and the drain from the a/c.

Access is tight. I worked upside down on the floor.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I also accessed the drain hole from the inside; after pulling back the carpet, you have to unbolt (unscrew) the rigid plastic drain tube from the inside of the firewall and rotate it about 90 degrees out of the way to provide access to the drain hole.

I used both fine piano wire to get some "gunk" out of the hole itself, and then I blasted the hole for several minutes with compressed air (from an air compressor).

That unclogged it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips, just a few quick questions?

I want to try to do it without removing the glove box, either way though will I have to remove the plastic "shields" on the left and right side of the carpet.

Also how far do you have to pull the carpet back? I worked at it the other night and it didn't really give much, especially the padding beneath it.

Lastly, I believe I saw the plastic drain tube just by lifting up the flimsy black plastic that is connected to the bottom of the glove box. Looking up in the passenger seat, on the very left side you can see the foot air ducts, is the drain tube the first thing to the right of that?

Thanks! If i get it to work I'll put together a write up with pics, i bet there are others out there looking.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
The drain tube is a funnel shape mounted onto the firewall with two nuts. Although the book says the dash and heater box have to be removed first, PZ proves it be possible to unscrew the nuts and twist the tube out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
unclecrispy said:
Thanks for the tips, just a few quick questions?

I want to try to do it without removing the glove box, either way though will I have to remove the plastic "shields" on the left and right side of the carpet.

Also how far do you have to pull the carpet back? I worked at it the other night and it didn't really give much, especially the padding beneath it.

Lastly, I believe I saw the plastic drain tube just by lifting up the flimsy black plastic that is connected to the bottom of the glove box. Looking up in the passenger seat, on the very left side you can see the foot air ducts, is the drain tube the first thing to the right of that?

Thanks! If i get it to work I'll put together a write up with pics, i bet there are others out there looking.
are there screws that holds the flimsy black plastic or can this be easily yanked out? im having the some issue when the A/C is on. I feel the circular pipe behind the flimsy black plastic and the foam that surrounds it is soaking wet.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Im guessing the flimsy black plactic you mention is part of the glove box. There is a bunch of torx screws that hold it and the box on. Two 10mm nuts hold the plastic drain tube funnel to the fire wall. The left nut is hard to see but can be removed with a socket and extension.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a similar problem I noticed about a week ago my front floor was wet so I cleaned out the AC drain in the floor board....

Now it seems that the AC water is coming out the vents in the rear footwell of my car in the front of my foot wells are dry...

What could cause the AC water to come in the back foot well only and not the front well

·
PassatWorld Elder
27,957 Posts
Are you sure it is a/c water? It might be water coming in through the fresh air vent. If it is a/c water, the drain is still not clear. I had one car that had nearly a qt of water in the dash. I had to clean the drain to the outside and then unclog the drain port in the dash itself.

If you have water in your back footwell, you have water under the carpet in the front. I suggest you pull the carpet back and check as your CCM is probably soaked.

·
Super Moderator
13,802 Posts
I have a similar problem I noticed about a week ago my front floor was wet so I cleaned out the AC drain in the floor board....

Now it seems that the AC water is coming out the vents in the rear footwell of my car in the front of my foot wells are dry...

What could cause the AC water to come in the back foot well only and not the front well
Your issue could be a clogged/disconnected sunroof drain line too. Search for people's threads on that issue too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.