Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have a 2004 Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion. I had the timing belt replaced a little less than three years ago. The AC worked beforehand but as soon as I got the car back, it was busted. I was moving and did not have time to follow up with that specific mechanic. Another mechanic looked at it and told me the clutch at the front of the AC was missing parts. I unplugged the power to the compressor and just drove without A/C. The car lasted for way longer than I thought and now I am curious if it is worth it to try and fix.

The clutch on the compressor currently can be moved by my hand BUT it feels very loose. It is hard to describe, but as I spin it, it doesn't move in a circular motion. It feels jangly.

I like the challenge and the tools (vacuum pump/gauges) are not that expensive on Amazon to replace the whole compressor. HOWEVER, I am curious if it is possible to replace just the clutch on the AC? I know it is possible on other models, but I cannot find any posts about my specific model. Can it be done?

Am I getting ahead of myself? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Yeah the clutch can be replaced. I'll be honest I don't know what the availability of NEW is but plenty of used out there for cheap.
My biggest concern would be the bearing on the front of the compressor that the pulley rides on. The bearings are hard to come by. I tried doing this same thing with my wife's GLX when I rebuilt the engine. I found a bearing from Europe but when I received it I discovered it was made in China. :mad:
I ended up just buying a new compressor. Old one out new one in. Done.

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
I agree with AndreasPassat that if the pully feels jangly as you say, then it is very likely that the pulley bearing is shot. That bearing is outside the compressor's pumping parts so can be changed without loosing refrigerant. I have a B6 Audi that developed a ruined bearing; I bought a new one and a special tool to remove the drive plate from an Ebay vendor. It turned out to be wasted effort as the compressor locked up soon afterwards, so I gave up and had a shop install a new compressor, expansion orifice, etc. Incidentally, the B6 uses a variable-stroke compressor that is always turning internally, and does not have a magnetic clutch like the B5 cars.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts