Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ABS sensor replaced, VAG COM reading "sporadic open circuit", is it not in enough?

2004 Passat (GLX 4Motion, if it matters). I had a recurrent situation where the ABS light went on and I got that "crunch" noise. Intermittent - the next time driven, the light would be off, then after five or six miles "crunch" and the ABS would light. I put it on my handheld VAG COM reader, and got the code for the left front wheel ABS sensor. So I pulled the sensor (incredibly tight! destroyed it in the process) and installed a new sensor with new metal sleeve. Again, incredibly tight fit; I had to put a block of wood on the end and whack it repeatedly with a mallet to get it in. Eventually, the sensor looked like it was in the right place, but I'm still getting the crunch and ABS light, and the VAG COM reading is reading "sporadic open/short circuit". Would I get that reading if the sensor were not pushed in enough? Or am I barking up the wrong tree here, and if so where should I be barking? Thanks for any insight, Z

·
I Know Stuff
10,579 Posts
What is the actual fault code number ?
That is most likely a fault in the wiring or connectors between the sensor and the ABS Module.

You shouldn't whack the sensor in, maybe you left a shim from the old sensor in there, or it is rusty and needs cleaning.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
If you used a quality sensor (so we can eliminate the sensor) it's either wiring to the ABS module or the module itself. The sensor should not go in too hard, maybe you have a lot of rust or something didn't go right. There is also a possibility of a mechanical problem (ABS ring too rusted, maybe bearing problem?!) but I would be more inclined to the electrical problem.
Can you use your VAG scanner to look at the speeds when you drive? Is it a certain speed where this is happening? Have someone else drive while you watch the scanner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everybody. I have one issue with my old VW Passat 2005 GTI wagon. Few days ago all of a sudden I saw two signals simultaneously on a control panel for the very first time since I purchased this car in 2005. It was ABS and traction control. After I returned home I used scanner to figure out the cause of the problem. Scanner readings indicated that there's a left rear speed ABS sensor malfunction. After I removed the wheel I noticed that the sensor is in a pretty good shape but it fell off the hole in which it supposed to be sitting tight. I looked at the opposite side and that sensor is rock solid and I don't want to touch it because I am afraid that I won't be able to put it back without any damage to the sensor. When I insert sensor into it's hole it feels loose and I think that something is missing here. Maybe some spacer or sleeve between sensor and the hole or perhaps some bushing has to be inserted first and then sensor itself. The sensor number is 3B0927807B. If someone knows what part is missing or lost please advise and I would appreciate any helpful suggestion very much. My email is [email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts