Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Passat TDI. I recently replaced the stuts (complete with springs) and axels. My ABS light is on. I have an OBD and tried to reset it but it comes back on. My question is can you purchase a ABS reluctor ring for the front axels. I believe the right front is the problem and think I might have damaged it when I installed the sensor too far in! Part number?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a 2005 Passat TDI. I recently replaced the stuts (complete with springs) and axels. My ABS light is on. I have an OBD and tried to reset it but it comes back on. My question is can you purchase a ABS reluctor ring for the front axels. I believe the right front is the problem and think I might have damaged it when I installed the sensor too far in! Part number?
Also called a tone ring.

·
Registered
751 Posts
If you did damage the tone ring, you get to buy yourself a CV joint (or complete axle shaft.) The ring isn't serviceable.

To be frank, a damaged or faulty wheel speed sensor is far more likely - especially if you pulled the sensors out of the knuckles to do the repair (BTW: if you do that, expect to need to replace them!)
What is the exact fault code & description?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
+1. I can't imagine how you could damage the tone ring to the point where it won't work. The 'holes' could be full of crud but just cleaning them should be enough. The sensor is much more fragile and if there was contact between the sensor and the tone ring, the tone ring will win every time.

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,988 Posts
+1. I can't imagine how you could damage the tone ring to the point where it won't work. The 'holes' could be full of crud but just cleaning them should be enough. The sensor is much more fragile and if there was contact between the sensor and the tone ring, the tone ring will win every time.
Every.Time.

BTW, Amazon has a new sensor with brake sensor wire for like $10-15.

·
Registered
26,966 Posts
I've never seen a damaged tone ring, but I have seen plenty that had rust dust after an axle swap. Try to pull and clean the sensor and check it for damage. The sensors can easily be damaged if left in place when swapping axles.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
I have seen plenty that had rust dust after an axle swap
That may be all the problem is; rust dust. The sensor works by sensing the presence or absence of magnetically-conductive iron as the ring rotates. Iron Oxide (rust) clogging the punched square openings of the tone ring can also conduct the magnetic field, which will weaken the switching signal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had to remove the whole spindle to get the upper control arm bolt out. It was FROZEN in the shaft. I had to take it to a shop where they torched it to get it out. I put the sensor back in and must have pushed it in t far. When I took it apart the sensor had worn and was stuck. I had to pull the axle to get it out. I noticed that the tone ring had splines (for lack of a better word) that were bent. Not all of them but maybe 10 or so. I did replace the sensors on both sides (cheap on ebay). Would those bent splines cause the abs light?

·
Registered
26,966 Posts
Yes, the bent splines will cause an ABS light. You can get another tone ring from a junkyard axle. I had to do that once for someone as the new axle did not have one, we re-used the old one. They tap on and off, just don't move one side too much as it will bend.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Surprised the sensor damaged the ring that much. When reinstalling the sensor. Add a little anti seize grease to the sides of the sensor and push it all the way in until it touches the new tone ring then back it out just to where it isn't touching the ring. Gently/ slowly sping the wheel a little bit to make sure you don't hear it rubbing.. Last;y make sure the tip of the sensor is free of any grease you applied.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I am up and running! Picked up tone ring at a salvage yard. The old one was bent to where it was staying in the hub and not on the axel. I put the used one in (nice and tight on axel) drove it for a minute and the ABS lights went out. Thanks, everyone for your help! Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts