Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Might get in touch with these places....

As noted on a few of the places. You can still drive your car with the Mod out for repair. You just won't have the ABS feature when braking. Some places will say don't drive it for liability issues on their end.

make sure you cover the mechanical side where the Mod mounts to keep water and debris out.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
We don’t know what to do up here for super bowl, usually our Pats are in it. Thanks again.
That's a good one.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Your previous posts on the B5 Garage you say your car is '03, I do not think it matters as it seems '02-'05 are the same, as long as it is the ATQ. I have used "Module Masters" in the past for repairs and really happy with work,turnaround and warranty. I am going to TWO "Pull-a-Parts tmrw. P.M. and I know the Cleveland West location has an '02 V6 4Mo. so will take my portable drill and torx set and take a looksie. I have mentioned this to AP but one test I would do is at the module's connector (T42) is this. Disconnect the ABS sensors at each front wheel, then at pin-outs (T42) check an ohm reading between #12 and #28 then check between the other front wheel two pin outs.(do not know their numbers) It is entirely possible that the wires have maintained their integrity/no breaks, yet are slightly in contact with each other or corroded somewhere causing minute leakage between the two. Any variation between the two would indicate a problem,you will probably have to check at highest and lowest ranges on your meter I believe.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thank you, will wait to hear back. I did check continuity from wheel well to 42 pin plug for opens but not across and to ground, will do that. It’s actually 04 according to title, believe manufactured in 03. My actual ABS unit is part # 4B0-614-517-H, another post told me the letter at end can be either H-K-R. Hard to find. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
the wires might have integrity, in the sense they are not broken but internally the insulation may have been compromised allowing them to touch to each other ,the car itself, corrosion,etc. They could still be possibly sending a signal as you have noted . I very well could be wrong ,but I thought I remembered at some point the majority of inputs operate at 5 volts and it does not take much as sensitive as the inputs are to contaminate the signal. To each other and to ground will eliminate that in the equation.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Here is the module I have. Sorry but it is NOT one that will work for you. (n)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
So a beautiful day in the neighborhood.......64 degrees, so I hit two Pull a Parts, first one turned up same as AP posted, BUT second one was off a 2002 V6 4MO sedan, I was hoping to find a matching number however there must be some kind of cross reference that I am missing anyway here is a crappy picture as light was at a premium,let me know
0203201701.jpg

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
And this is what is ironic, this pass weekend put new wheel bearings in my '08, B6, tapped out the ABS sensors (way different than the B5s) reassembled and ran while on the jacks, put my foot gently on the brakes and of course ABS kicked in ,wheels back on ,test drive, and as I backed ! out of garage, yes backing out ! ABS light NOW permanently came on, UGH !

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Im kinda confused myself at this point because I was using numbers off the body of the ABS unit itself (4B0-614-517-H) which was how they were listing the module’s online. Since the module is still in the car I tried to get numbers off it using a mirror the other day and out of those numbers I couldn’t find anything close and the numbers in your picture are not even close. I will pull module out tomorrow and make sure I wrote numbers down correctly. Will get back to you. Thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hope you have better luck diagnosing yours than Im having. Very strange it happened while your helping me with same issue

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The one AP pictured and the first one I looked at today in Akron are the same P/N, the pic I posted from Cleveland West as I said was off an '02 or '03 V6 4 Mo. You can e-mail or call Module Masters as they might be able to give you a cross reference and or I believe program a replacement. I am kicking myself for not grabbing the ECU or ABS module off my '03 V6 4mo donor/parts car now.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I will pull it out today and get back to you. Will replacement need to be programmed?

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
It depends on what car it came out of. Whether it was a manual or automatic trans.
I see you've got VCDS Lite, I would hook it up and scan the module to see what's what, change the coding to automatic transmission if need be.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I have the shareware version so it’s very limited. Surprised I could see all four wheel sensors so I will try to figure out how to look at module. I want to check one more thing in harness then if ok module is coming out. Thank you

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Well that sucked, even after I got screws out it wouldn’t come out until removing two bolts holding ABS unit in and prying it over 3/8”. No plug on bottom, looks like power comes from two contacts inside. Will attach a few pictures. Missed on first hole for bottom right screw.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts