Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have tried everything to clear ABS code, guess next step is module. Trying to keep cost down, have already put more $ in to this car than I wanted. I found a used one on Ebay part # 4B0-614-517-B my part number is 4B0-614-517-H, that is number on body of unit, I actually only need the module. The seller says part number needs to be exact match, is it really that specific? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
To help diagnose further and make sure it's the ABS module, have scanned the car for codes with VCDS or some other program? If so post the codes.
Other things to look for. If the ABS module is indeed faulty, you'll have strange activity on the instrument panel.
Flashing brake light, tach or speedo will read zero while car is running / driving.
Unplugging the ABS module will determine if the unit is faulty. If unplugging it makes the instrument cluster go back to normal operation, then you know for sure the ABS module is bad.
You listed a 2004 as model year, that will be a Bosch 5.7 ABS module.
These modules were prone to failure, a painfully known issue for Passat owners. Buying a used module is very risky considering the failure rate of these units.

This company repairs Bosch 5.7 modules for $150. You send yours in, they repair it and send it back to you. Pretty quick turn-around. I've used them myself.
ABS Module Repair

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for repeats. Wires good from wheel well to 42 pin plug. Dash doesn’t go crazy. Swapped sensors LF - RF same LF code

·
Registered
87 Posts
Using the provided link, their website says: “
VEHICLES REPAIRED
WHY US?

9/14/19 - We are currently in the process of relocating and not taking new orders at this time.​
WHY US?

9/14/19 - We are currently in the process of relocating and not taking new orders at this time.​

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that link, looks like they are closed. Was waiting to hear back from Andreas to see what he thinks after looking at my scan results before I pull module out.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Clean the tone ring on the axle. It's the ring that coordinates with the sensor. Also make sure when you install the sensor you push it all the way in till it touches the ring then back it out rite to where it isn't touching the ring. Too far out and it can set that code off

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did that and also swapped sides. What’s strange is I’m getting equal readings from all four wheels while driving. Posted pictures of the readings. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Take a look at this link.
Ross-Tech Wiki 00283 Code

Seeing as you swapped sensors from one side to the other and the same popped up, I would suspect the 'wire harness' that feeds the brake pad wear sensor (if equipped) and ABS sensor. Possibly the ABS module itself.
This wire harness goes around to the frame tube behind the strut and the goes up and behind the plastic inner fender well. It snakes around and ends up at a rubber grommet that goes into the fender well of the body on the car. If you pull that grommet out there is a connection (or two if equipped with brake wear sensor) that disconnects the 'wire harness'.

Here is a sample of a used one. I've purchased these before from this same place. I'm a fairly regular customer of them.
used ABS sensor harness
I know it says it's for a B5 1998 thru 2001 vin ???, It will still work if you don't have the brake wear sensor option.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Forgot to mention it. If your up in the rust belt (chemicals on the road for snow removal) check the tone ring around the outer cv axle shaft. Make sure it is free of rust and debris. If you have a source of compressed air, remove the sensor, blow air down the sensor hole while turning the tire, blast whatever debris may be present out of there. Re-install sensor, push all the way in, back off about 1 to 1.5mm. Make sure tone ring a secure around axle flange. Every once and a while someone posts here that theirs came loose.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Hopefully someone here can chime in with other places to send their ABS module to, in case the OP needs to have his repaired.
I didn't notice that Cheap ABS was 'not working' at the moment. It's a saved link I have.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Andreas. Since I took ohm meter from sensor plug in wheel well to plug at module I would say wires OK. And readings from scan tool show good signal from all 4 I think Module is next. It does have break pad sensors, and I live in Maine where they put bad stuff on the roads that rust everything out.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess abs Module is quite specific for this V6 4motion, looks like “cheapABS” company is gone, there site says closing to relocate in September and they never came back. One question, will attach pic, I proved wires good to 42 pin plug, even though reversed, what is pin #13 (code ATQ only)? My wires from wheel sensor sw (black) to pin 12, gn (green) to pin 28, what does pin 13 do? Thanks

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I'm not much of an electrical guy (even though I can wire a complete house with my eyes closed, go figure). I think the mention of 'ATQ only' is because the ATQ is a drive by wire throttle body, so no mechanical connection to the throttle body assembly. But then again I could be all washed.

I guess just based on common sense here, if the wires test good, then it looks as though it's going back to the ABS module. As I'm sure you're wanting to do, is make sure it's the ABS module. Don't want to throw good money after bad here.

Paging FrescoGreen01.5 ...
He is the resident electrical guru :p

There seems to be a cluster of Passat owners up in that corner of the country, maybe someone has a 'spare' unit they can lend for testing purposes?

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
To answer your very first question about the specific part number, yes. The ABS system went through a few revisions during the B5 / B5.5 production.
Here are the numbers that are compatible with your car. These are the electronic control portion only.
4B0614517H
4B0614517K
4B0614517R.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a couple electrical panels I need replaced. Im still having trouble figuring out how to use this site, will figure out eventually. Back to this Passat, I have done lots of looking for a inexpensive module but everyone is telling me its very specific for this rig. Was hoping any module from 98-05 would work. Looks like “cheapABS” closed to move and never reopened. Will wait to see if anyone else has an idea on ABS, need to replace both rear struts so I will start that project. Thanks again.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just noticed your other post. Thats good now I know which module will work. Found one that ended in B. Glad I didn’t buy it

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Just noticed your other post. Thats good now I know which module will work. Found one that ended in B. Glad I didn’t buy it
You know, now that I think about it, I've got an ABS control module sitting in one of my tool boxes at work. Monday I'll check the numbers to see if it is a match. If it is, it's yours.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That would be great, I went through about 50 pages on EBay, couldn’t find one. Guess it’s not a very common one. Found two with same number but last letter wasn’t H, K,or R. Struts should be here tomorrow, doesn’t look like to bad of a job just more stuff in the way being a 4motion. We don’t know what to do up here for super bowl, usually our Pats are in it. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts