Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day, when I replaced my interior light bulbs with LEDs, I somehow blew the fuse for the ABS... so he ABS light, the triangle with the exclamation point light, and the brake light were all lit up...

today, i was sitting at a stop sign (rainy day) and when i turned into the traffic, my tire hit a wet spot and spun a little - so I guess ABS kicked in, but then the fuse blew and all those lights came on again.

Why would this cause my fuse to blow?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Are you actually replacing a burned fuse? If so, then you must have nicked the insulation on your ABS power lead. If not, it sounds like you ABS Module could be failing. It is a intermitent problem. Mine failed last year (2000 1.8T) and I sent it to Module Masters. They claim there rehab is better than the original. It is definitely much cheaper than buying a new one and works great.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i talked to my cousin yesterday (a more knowledgeable vw owner than myself) and told him about how i originally blew the fuse. I think i pulled the fuse out - but didnt immediatly put it back in, then noticed it was missing (in the same sitting) and guessed it was a 25 since the 3 above it were 25's - he thinks that when the abs kicked in the other day, the fuse was too big and that is why it blew. i have not found any documentation anywhere that tells me what fuse to put in there... i replaced it with a 20 and the indicator lights have turned off... so i guess we'll see if it blows again - though i dont use abs that often - which i guess is a good thing.

what happens if the fuse is too low? abs wont work at all?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I concur with [bold]1finemachine[/bold], your ABS control module is probably starting to go out.

As for the fuse being the wrong size/strength....

Fuses are designed to be the weak link in an electrical circuit in order to protect the more expensive and complicated components. They are intentionally supposed to be lower/weaker/smaller than the amount of amperage that would be required to damage the rest of the circuit.

If you put in too weak of a fuse, it will blow constantly. However, if you put in to strong of a fuse, you will end up blowing something else instead (like your ABS control module or Stereo Head Unit).

When in doubt, put in a smaller fuse. Fuses are cheap compared to the rest of the electronics in your car.

fpsm

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay- last night while changing the transmission code, my cousin ran some test with the vag-com to see if there was anything up with the abs/brakes/esp. no faults it said. today - just driving home from work - 8 minute drive - no hard stops - no alarm - and the abs and esp lights came on - no brake light this time. checked the fuses, none blown.

could it really be the abs control going out? would that have shown up on the vag-com? my car hasnt hit 40k yet, but is almost there. wouldnt this be covered under warranty?

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
well, i talked to my cousin yesterday (a more knowledgeable vw owner than myself) and told him about how i originally blew the fuse. I think i pulled the fuse out - but didnt immediatly put it back in, then noticed it was missing (in the same sitting) and guessed it was a 25 since the 3 above it were 25's - he thinks that when the abs kicked in the other day, the fuse was too big and that is why it blew. i have not found any documentation anywhere that tells me what fuse to put in there... i replaced it with a 20 and the indicator lights have turned off... so i guess we'll see if it blows again - though i dont use abs that often - which i guess is a good thing.

what happens if the fuse is too low? abs wont work at all?
he thinks that when the abs kicked in the other day, the fuse was too big and that is why it blew. <--- thats wrong .. too small a fuse might blow .. correct fuse is a 10 A

http://shakti.trincoll.edu/~sritchie/Passat_fuse_panel.html

·
Registered
28,344 Posts
The ABS controller should not be failing on a newer Passat. It does sound like there is a short in the system. The ABS controller may have shorted out or the wiring in between it and the fuse.

The fuse is supposed to protect that from happening.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, i took my car in for the 40K service ... and to check out the abs/brake lights, they said it as the brake switch and replaced it... along with the CF boot...thanks warranty!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts