Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2005 Passat 1.8T auto FWD wagon with 162K, that I was getting ready to pass onto my daughter. Its been a pretty good car, utterly no rust, good interior (excepting the driver's seat is cracking a bit), fully rebuilt suspension & brakes, new CV axles, replaced door actuators, new every fluid, new tires including a full new set of snows on dedicated rims, valve cover gaskets & plugs, etc. Basically all the maintenance is up to date and it should be good to go for another 50-75K before needing much, or so I thought...

The ABS light, brake light, and warning beep started up, got the codes, pulled the ABS and sent it to be rebuilt. Comes back, works a day, fails again different code about a rear valve. Send it off to get rebuilt, they return it and say it cannot be rebuilt and that the entire unit is junk. The car will not pass state inspection with these dash ABS lights on (not that ABS is all that useful to begin with in 99.9999% of operation, I could count the number of times I have actuated ABS on any vehicle on a single hand over 30 years and I regularly track cars and drive in the snow with appropriate tires).

So anyway, I need a new (different) ABS unit... So what are my options now? I've poured a fair pile of money into this car over the past 2 years getting it operationally and maintenance nearly perfect. I am reluctant to put another $1K+ for just the parts into it. Suggestions for a less expensive solution?

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
I would recommend this place.
The guy is back up and running and open for business. Good prices.

Font Rectangle Material property Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
Oh yeah, forgot...
I've used his services before. The 2 modules that he worked on are still going strong in my vehicles.
One in my 1998 GLS and the other in my wife's 2003 GLX.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had the same issue with my ABS unit going bad and the lights coming up on the dash. Went to a scrapyard and picked up a used module for 20$ from a V6 petrol passat (mine was a 4cyl diesel). I separated the ABS computer from the ABS block, and only swapped out the computer portion into my car. Had to remove the front left wheel to get to some of the screws and it was pretty tight fit with the windshield washer reservoir. But not a hard job by any means.

Once installed, if I remember correctly, you sort of need to guess the login code in VCDS to adapt it to your vehicle, and there were quite a few combinations to try, but after about 10 minutes I got it working. Fixed my issue and it's been running great for the last 3 years.

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
Once installed, if I remember correctly, you sort of need to guess the login code in VCDS to adapt it to your vehicle, and there were quite a few combinations to try, but after about 10 minutes I got it working. Fixed my issue and it's been running great for the last 3 years.
Always get the coding off the module BEFORE swapping it. Then it's plug-n-play.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The OP has a 2005. That is a Bosch 5.7 version of the ABS module. Aren't the older Passats version 5.3 and are they compatible with the 2005 cars?

I had mine repaired by ModuleMasters this past October and it has been working fine! Don't know where the OP had his repaired but good luck. I know the feeling regarding putting money into the car....

·
Registered
7,619 Posts

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,998 Posts
If the module comes up on autoscan and doesn't show coding (it should show), you can log into the module directly to get that info.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,998 Posts
2.0L TDI's are like step children in American Bentley books. :cry:
Apparently. I also have an older book, so that may have something to do with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is looking a lot more like my module was damaged during the multiple shipping back for forth and fiddling with it is just wasting my time and costing me shipping back and forth...

So before I call dibs on Iowegian's kind offer, I just want to make sure that I get what I need...

1. The module is a Bosch 5.7 unit, mine is 4B0 614 517 G, does the number matter or are they all compatible?
2. Is there a list of vehicles that have compatible ABS control modules for me to do a search at my local boneyard?
3. What would I need to fit it and match to my car? (I do not have VAG-COM, but a Foxcom NT680 general scanner)
4. Anything else of import?

Thanks for the help!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts