Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a B5 noob so please bear with me. My wife drove her rear pads on '98 1.8T, (build 11/97, if that matters), down to the metal. ABS/E-brake light & sound came on intermittently before I changed the pads & rotors. Had some trouble turning the piston back in and I actually pulled it out to look for problems, but one wack with a hammer allowed it to screw on in. Used regular dot 3 fluid to top it off when I bled the rears. Lights/sounds still come on intermittently. Got Valvoline syn dot 3/4 fluid and bled the entire system; lights/sounds still come on.

I was told that I may have broken off an e-brake related part inside the cylinder, but I didn't see it when the piston was out. Also heard that the sensor may be obscured w/metal shavings but I don't think I have a sensor. Any advice from you pros? Gonna get a vag-com soon; will it tell me where the problem lies?

·
Registered
66 Posts
First step...pull the codes. The ABS/e-Brake warning may not have been related to the worn rear brakes (especailly as you and I both have 11/97 build date cars and they don't have brake pad wear sensors) but rather the infamous ABS Control Module failure. The wheel speed sensors (for ABS) will also throw codes, hopefully that is your issue as it's a quick and easy fix. The ABS control module is over $1K new and about $400 used, part cost only.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:bow: Finally. Thank you. I've been praying that it's not the ABS Module, and that it was somehow related to the change. Is this something that a regular OBD II reader can pull? I'll be getting VAG-COM, but not for a couple weeks. :beer: 'preciate it!

·
Registered
66 Posts
You might be able to read the codes depending on the OBD reader (like Scan Tool), but I know for a fact the VAG-COM is the way to go. We drove with the warning going on for like 3 months until I found a decent deal on a used ABS control module :D no way I was gonna pay the stealer $1300 for a $600 part :mad:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Doesn't the B5 use DOT4 fluid?

I made the mistake of putting in DOT3 when I bled my brakes. Lost them temporarily when I didn't put the e-brake down completely and drove out the parking lot of my complex. I think they overheated so I flushed again that weekend and put in DOT4.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Ran VAG on it and when I specifically told it to check ABS/Brakes, it tried for a while and then gave me a "No response from controller". I find it very coincidental that this all started when the pads were in need of a change, as it should, but now it continues on. I have checked the main power connection to the ABS unit, but I don't know where else to look.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.