Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little problem on my wife's 99 B5 V6 AHA with 103K. Car purchased new - synthetic (Redline oil) always.....

Her car's lit up like a X-mas tree with three lights ABS, Brake and ASR and the audio buzzer sound. Then a few minutes later they all were gone.

I scanned the car and got the 01203 code for loose electrical connection..... Did a little research and found many links to the ABS module.

Then the symptom repeated but this time the oil light came as well. As she was pulling over the side of the road, all the light when off. This new (with oil pressure light) problem happend twice. All three times same 01203 code. The light always go on/off all at the same time.

From looking around the site I found couple of possibilities :

ABS module rapair - $250
ABS used - ~$130
ABS new - forget it !

Also found that replacing the brake switch sometimes takes care of all the problem.

As well as replacing oil pressure switch might solve the 'low' oil presure light.

Any additional suggestions what to check ?

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
my experience and to my thread directly below yours. Check the cruise control and if the center brake light comes on. Had i known i wouldnt have wasted the 30 bucks on a brake switch but hey one less thing to replace later.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Lets just say I had the exact same problem as yours....replaced t he brake light switch myself because the stealership said that was it.

Didnt do shit.

Replaced the ABS module and im alll good (and my wallet is not)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To: 'poormansaudi" and 'kawasakiguy37'

Thank you for the heads up on the brake switch replacement being probably not required - I will move it to the bottom of the list next to the new abs module....:)

Did you guys have the 'low oil pressure light' as well ?

Anyone else have all these light (especially the 'oil' light) light up at the same time ? Did the problem went away after the ABS module was replaced ?

Again, I'm not to affraid to attempt the repair of the ABS module myself but the 'oil' light got me a little puzzled............. (puzzled enough to install a mechanical oil pressure guage)

Mark

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
ABS module. Get it rebuilt by Module Masters for $200 plus shipping. New module from dealer is $500.

Oil light is on because your tach is being affected. It is probably dead during this time but you don't notice for everything else. When the tach doesn't work, the instrunment cluster assumes the engine is not running, thus no oil pressure, and in turn, makes it light up. Saw 2 V6's in same week with same problems. ABS module took care of it.

You can unplug it and oil light problem should go away, but ABS lights will be on.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you 'vwztips'

I guess off to the garage to remove the ABS module. :thumbup:

Save money by not replacing oil pressure switch and brake switch. Use the money instead on a mechanical pressure guage. :)

Marek

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
The hardest thing about the whole removal process is the mess the windshield washer bottle makes when you remove it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update !

modulemaster.com repaired the ABS module - it was back to me in 4 days. The best part was able to remove it from the car in about 20 minutes (installation took 15 !) from the car WITHOUT removing the washer bottle. :whistle:

The car has been on the road for about 10 days and no cells Thank you modulemaster !!!:bowdown: :beer:

Mark

·
Registered
21 Posts
Update !

modulemaster.com repaired the ABS module - it was back to me in 4 days. The best part was able to remove it from the car in about 20 minutes (installation took 15 !) from the car WITHOUT removing the washer bottle. :whistle:

The car has been on the road for about 10 days and no cells Thank you modulemaster !!!:bowdown: :beer:

Mark
How did you manage to remove it without removing the washer bottle. I had to remove the wheel, wheel well cover to remove the washer bottle and only then I was able to reach the ABS module. I have a '00 B5 1.8T. Please share your technique.

·
Registered
800 Posts
'How did you manage to remove it without removing the washer bottle.'

I pulled back the fender liner on my '99 , with the wheel turned full left . Reached in and got the two PITA screws - lower and mid rear ones . Unbolted the power steering res to get at the lower and mid fronts . Took more time ... about an hour but not bad .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did mine too without removing washer bottle.. 1/4" rachet, T-20 torx and it was off. Did have to remove the power steering fluid resivour and push to the side though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The secret is to get a longer torx screw driver not just a socket/bit and puncture a hole in the fender liner approximately where the screw is and slide the whole torx screwdriver through and undo the screws...............(i don't think I even moved the wheels):beer: :beer: :beer:
Hope that helps.

Mark

ps if you don't like the 1/8" hole you can use some blk rtv to plug it and use the hole again in 5 years when the warranty on the ABS expires:)

·
Registered
86 Posts
i got a recall or service bulletin from VW said they were gonna replace my brake switch for nothin. while im there im gonna see if they can do the window clips for nothin as well

1 - 20 of 25 Posts