Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed all rotors and pads this weekend and installed new inner and outer bearings in the rear rotors (VW dealers pressed in the bearings for me). Other than a couple of troublesome carrier bolts to remove, all things went well, I thought.

When I installed the rear rotors I lightly tapped the rotors in place with a hammer, put the special washer on the hub, tightened the nut by hand, and then backed-off slightly so as not to force the bearings, installed nut cover, cotter pin, and finally dirt cap. All greased very thoroughly.

New rotor turned easy enough with scraping from new pads.

I did not break any lines, remove any sensors, etc.

After driving a few miles the ABS light and brake light come on. VAG-COM says it is the two rear wheels ABS sensors.

Any idea what is causing this?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another idea - Hmmm - Went out to the garbage to look at the old rotors. They had ribs on the inner side and the new rotors did not. Seeing how both sides have this problem, then maybe the sensor is looking for something that is not there.

My daughter drives this car and hence I needed to turn it around over the weekend I just bought parts at the local auto parts store. The VW tech that pressed in the bearings for me did not say a word about the rotors.

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
i thought that the abs sensor worked based on the ribs. This might be an older design, or could still be in use, but i thought i saw a tech segment where the showed ribs on the back of the rotor controling the abs module. :???:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called my VW dealer and talked to a tech. He said the inside hub of the rear rotor needed the serrated ring. It is called the speed sensor. The tech told me to carefully pry it off the old rotor. He said if I bent it then it would not work.

I just decided to get 2 new ones from my dealer. I don't have time in the middle of the week to keep screwing with this thing.

I can now put the car on jack stands and pull a rotor in 30 minutes. Hardest part is getting the dirt cap off and back on.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
nasttcar said:
I called my VW dealer and talked to a tech. He said the inside hub of the rear rotor needed the serrated ring. It is called the speed sensor. The tech told me to carefully pry it off the old rotor. He said if I bent it then it would not work.

I just decided to get 2 new ones from my dealer. I don't have time in the middle of the week to keep screwing with this thing.

I can now put the car on jack stands and pull a rotor in 30 minutes. Hardest part is getting the dirt cap off and back on.
The rings will pull right off-really.

·
Registered
187 Posts
i changed my pads and rotors and my light is on did a computer reset i know how these cars are and it didnt fix it. But man she stops sooooo Good now.. ill defiantly look at the old rotors since they were stealership Rotors and the new ones are powerstop. ill look for that Ring mentioned in the post

1 - 10 of 10 Posts