Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got an 03 V6 4-mo wagon and last night my ABS and ASR light came on and stayed on. Brakes seem to still work, but i've been taking it easy just in case. I'm dropping it off at the dealer tomorrow for warranty service but wanted some opinions before i go. I know a scan would help, but my vagcom is serial and my new laptop only has usb. I'll probably get a usb adapter and read the codes tonight.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I just went through that myself....likely your ABS controller. Do a search on the forum and you'll find instructions on how to remove your controller and send it to ATE or others for repair. I even checked at the dealer and they now can sell you the countrller seperately! ($400+ )

I repaired my own controller using instructions I found by searching the forum. I would not recommend it to anyone unless you are extremely good with a soldering iron and can do it using a 10x magnifying lense as it is tight...no margin for error.

Nice thing is that your brakes likely are fine and will work with the controller removed....just no ABS

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: got the car back from the dealer and it was a bad brake switch. I'm guessing if the ABS controller goes bad, the brake light also come on.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mines at the dealer the 2nd time for this (04.5). I'm wondering whether the break light switch going bad is symptomatic of a larger underlying problem.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
make sure to get a good serial to usb adapter. cheap ones might have some issues. ross-tech recommends one on their page.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, i looked at the FAQ sheet on Ross-tech and the pcmcia adapter was the only one i saw regarding using a serial interface on a pc w/ usb only.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts