Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to get a 98 1.8t on tuesday for what I consider to be a decent price ($7000+, 80k miles, 1 year dealer warranty)...

I wanted to know a few things, first, about chipping, I have read that a stock transmission won't last after being chipped, is this true?

Also, how much does it cost to replace the clutch, I think the one on this car is getting old, though I don't have a lot of experience with this kind of thing.

I had another question, but I can't remember, i'll post it later.

Thanks for any info, and I hope to have a very pleasant experience here and in the car, I'm very excited for this purchase.

ohh yeah, I remembered the question..

My mechanic said that they can't run emmissions tests on this car if it has an aftermarket stereo in it. This sounds like BS, but is there any truth to this? he said it "Fries the computer" which just doesn't make sense to me

·
Registered
280 Posts
well the stereo thing sounds like BS to me too but being a new b5 owner I cant tell you the truth. also with the way electric sys are tied together on 1 ecu I wouldnt be suprised....I've seen worse sh%#

The clutch, Not hard to do yourself...takes time....but not hard DONT GO TO THE DEALERSHIP for a replacement chances are you can buy aftermarket for cheaper.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Bullsh%t... Got my test done with a t.v. in it ..... Bullsh%t ... (Just call it how I see it) Need another mechanic that specializes in euro cars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, this is my impression as well...

thanks for the responses,
any thoughts on the cost of a clutch?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts