Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting my 2001.5 1.8T chipped I realized my suspension totally sucks. After a lot of searching and some research I narrowed my choice down to:

H & R Sport Spring Kit priced at $229 at Shox.com / $218 at Tirerack.com

and

Bilstein shocks priced at $399 at Shox.com

Anyone have any comments or other suggestions? Any better prices out there?

Also if anyone knows of any good install shops in the Bay Area, let me know! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
FWIW AFAIK IIRC

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
I have the Neuspeed Bilsteins, and they're HARSH. Save yourself the cost of reinstallation by doing it right the first time and get Koni yellows. :) :poke:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
are the neuspeed bilsteins the same as regular bilsteins? Why do you reccomend the Koni yellows?

·
Registered
965 Posts
H&R raised the retail price on the B5 springs a few months ago, so I don't think you'll find $190 much anymore. purems.com has them for $220. Could also check parts4vws.com.

I'd agree with the other caller, Koni yellows (sport) offer a bit more comfort over the Bilsteins. I prefer them on the street over Bilsteins, and I have ridden extensively in both.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
stealthx32 said:
I have the Neuspeed Bilsteins, and they're HARSH. Save yourself the cost of reinstallation by doing it right the first time and get Koni yellows. :) :poke:

Maybe it's the springs you have. I run H&R RACE springs with Neuspeed Bilsteins on my wife's (my former) Jetta 3 with 205/40/17s and we BOTH love the way it rides. Is it stock, hell no, but it's by no means harsh. It actually gets even softer at high speeds. If you like a sporty ride I'd say go for it. If you want a lot comfort, do the Eibach Pro-Kit.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
The Konis are adjustable to very comfortable, or very stiff. So you can't go wrong. It suits all tastes. You just can't adjust on-the-fly as you can with almost all the other Koni yellows. :cry:

Maybe I'm a wuss, but my H&R OEs and Neuspeed Bilsteins are pretty harsh. Not to mention that the Continental CH95s are pretty bouncy, and makes the ride pretty sickening, especially over uneven surfaces...but I deal with it...by driving harder! :lol: They do pretty well on the road courses though, although I could use some stiffer springs. But my Passat doesn't deserve the beating I give it, so I might have to retire it from its track duties. :p

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've got H&R OEs and Bilsteins Adjustables (2001 and with all the way down setting) in front --- the combination can be harsh and quite abrupt on the rebound over sharp bumps/expansion joints/etc, but still better than stock if you like to use your chip.

It is also wonderful on smooth roads with oodles more control than stock with a chip.

Hmmm....if I did it again, I might pick H&R sports in back (or maybe I'll still do it someday as with the adjustables all the way down in front there is a decent rake) as I'm thinking if you are going to get a tight/hard suspension, it may as well look the part too and get the rear to hug the ground a bit tighter.

I have no other experience than stock, however, so keep that in mind when you read my comments.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm, maybe now I am leaning towards Koni Yellows and H+R springs. Do I need order anything else?

I am still debating on installing them myself (which would involve buying a lot of new tools and having the satisfaction I did it myself, but also realizing I might totally fuck something up and be screwed and end up paying 2x what it would have just cost me to have some one do it in the first place.

or

Just find a place that will do it for me for $300 or so... Anyone know of anywhere?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I just ordered the Grooved Bilstein Sports and the H&R Sports for mr 2000 B5 1.8T. I should have them soon and b5bel is gonna do the install. I'll give you my opinion when it's done, if you still haven't ordered yours yet. I probably won't mind the ride even though some say it will be harsh. I know one thing, it will be a lot more fun.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts