Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the best springs??? i am debating between the prokit springs, neuspeed, and H&R. i want a drop but not where it is a super drop. i will be rolling with 18's and 225 tires so what should i go for??? i really need help and then with shocks billsteins??? or koni??? i dont want a super harsh ride, i want a lowered ride that drives well since i live in sacramento and commute everyday. what should i go for???

·
Registered
323 Posts
1. you can use 18's with any spring/shock combo.
2. Springs:
H&R Sport OE ~0.75" drop
Neuspeed Soft ~075"
Eibach ~1.2"
Neuspeeds Sport ~1.5"
B&G ~1.6"
H&R Sports ~1.75"
3. Shox:
Eibach - forgiving
Bilsteins - stiffer
Koni - adjustable, but you need to remove shox to adjust them.

Take your pick.
Personally I have Eibach/Bilsteins and like'em.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
toneloc07 said:
what springs are the best and feel most stock??? what springs are too bouncy???
Eibachs are closest to stock.
Bilsteins shocks are a sport shock and are stiffer valved about 15% more then your stock shocks.
Konis can be adjusted only when "OFF" the car. I have heard they get stiffer then Bilsteins if not left in Full soft position.
Depends what car you have. If you have a B5.5 1.8T manual Eibach/Koni will leave your front end sitting/looking higher then the rear in the wheel wells. Eibach/Bilstein Grooved from Neuspeed will alow you to bring the front down so wheel wells look even.
Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Really since you already have 18's I don't think ride harshness will be a problem. I commute in a big city also w/shitty streets and putting on a new suspension has not made a huge difference in comfort. Any difference is greatly outnumbered by the change in handling performance.
I went w/vogtland spirngs and koni adj. shocks. My drop was right around 2.5" all around and i have the shocks as firm as possible. Getting new suspension is like driving a brand new car you will not be disapointed w/any of the suspensions mentioned in the thread. Good luck w/what you choose to do 8)

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
toneloc07 said:
are the billsteins easier to adjust then koni??? i heard koni you only have to jack the car up to adjust
You have to take the Konis off the car to adjust the rebound damping.
Bilstein just has different grooves in them to set the perch at different heights which has to be done before you put them on.
I would also like to know how old are you? the reason I ask is you kinda ask the same questions over and over in your posts. Do you read and do any research whatsoever? This is getting old now. :roll:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sorry for posting things and not looking them, up but i am a college student and would much rather type a question and get an answer then search when i should be studying and working, so if i have a question i ask it and that takes like 5 minutes opposed to 30 when i search for stuff. thanks for caring about my age and if it is getting old dont look at my topics or responses then. no one says you have to help out, this is a forum and no one is holding a gun to your head and making you answer. :crazy:

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
toneloc07 said:
sorry for posting things and not looking them, up but i am a college student and would much rather type a question and get an answer then search when i should be studying and working, so if i have a question i ask it and that takes like 5 minutes opposed to 30 when i search for stuff. thanks for caring about my age and if it is getting old dont look at my topics or responses then. no one says you have to help out, this is a forum and no one is holding a gun to your head and making you answer. :crazy:
Ok, Im done helping you :wink: Since you want to spend none of your time researching. You would rather ask the same questions 10X over.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that is fine, there are another 5000 people who would love to help, that understand what it is like to have a busy life and not have any time to look stuff up. i also am new to this so i ask a lot of questions. sorry about that, but we all cant be perfect like you, or maybe we have lives where we cant sit around and research a forum all day to learn about cars.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Warped said:
If you have a B5.5 1.8T manual Eibach/Koni will leave your front end sitting/looking higher then the rear in the wheel wells.
What?! Are you absolutely sure about this? I've spent SEVERAL hours just reading about suspension mods on this forum and this is the first time anyone has said that the front actually looks higher than the back, let alone for any aftermarket spring or spring/shock combo. What about Neuspeed Sport with Koni on a B5.5 1.8T? Also, why haven't there been any Eibach group buys? Are they just impossible to get a good deal on?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Iv'e heard a lot about the back looking lower than the front, but some neuspeed bilsteins can solve that problem.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Ah OK I just found the thread regarding someone's ride looking lower in the back (the one that Warped was posting in), but it seems to be just an illusion because the rear wheel wells are designed to look lower than the front. So the ground clearance is basically even and the drop is level, though it might just look back-heavy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts