Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just was wondering what people's thoughts on shocks and springs for my black 2002 gls 1.8t would be. are the lowering springs from vw any good? i was also thinking about the eibach pro kit springs, but i dont know what shocks to get. i live in sacramento and i go to san jose a lot. i live in northern cali for those of you that dont know where those two places are. :p thanks for the help and hopefully i can get a good idea of what springs and shocks to get. :???: :???:

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
eibach pro-system consists of eibach pro-kit springs and eibach dampers. put them on....set it and forget it :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
schmove said:
eibach pro-system consists of eibach pro-kit springs and eibach dampers. put them on....set it and forget it :thumbup:
Ditto the Eibach Pro-System - Just installed them over the weekend. Luvin' it, even in the snow. :D

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
I have H&R's on stock shocks and looking to upgrade to either the Koni Adjustables, or the Bilstien Sports.

A local buddy has a B&G and Bilstien setup from www.shox.com and he gota combo deal from them. Lowered closer to 2" on the B&G's and the Bilstiens are a perfect match for his RG 1.8T.

HTH,
Steve

BTW, forgot to add that we both have the Neuspeed rear sway which stiffens it up further.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I 2nd the recommendation of H&R Sport Springs with Koni Sport Adjustable shocks. The Eibachs Pro System Kit is alright on VW's but I've heard of BMW's getting saggy booty after the suspension settles.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
schmove said:
Are you referring to the VW accessory sport suspension(the one you can buy through your dealer)? or something else? I was considering the one from VW, but my dealer told me it's only springs. And if it's not, can I run fine with springs and dampers and no shocks? The thing about the VW one is it doesn't affect warranty whatsoever and the dealer will install it. You make it sound very easy (that's a good thing :wink:), and I'd prefer not to go aftermarket w/ suspension unless I really have to. Eh?

-Wapptor

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
eibach pro-system is aftermarket. the dealer "vw sport suspension" are just european versions of the eibach pro-kit springs. very subtle differences. They don't sell any shocks at the dealer that complements it. Unlike the full eibach pro-system. It's fine to roll with just the vw springs for a while but I've learned through past experience that doing it right the first time is what's best.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so i guess the ieibach pro system it is then. does anyone know where i can get this and how much it runs. also anyone know where i can get it installed for cheap around the sacramento area??? thanks for all the help. i really appreciate it. does it void the warranty on anything if i do put this system on my car??? thanks because i still have about 4 years on my warranty

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
toneloc07 said:
so i guess the ieibach pro system it is then. does anyone know where i can get this and how much it runs. also anyone know where i can get it installed for cheap around the sacramento area??? thanks for all the help. i really appreciate it. does it void the warranty on anything if i do put this system on my car??? thanks because i still have about 4 years on my warranty
Just remember with the Pro system that your rear will look like it is sagging compared to the front. Front looks higher then the rear. Saggie A$$ syndrome.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
i sugest the KW coilover to anyone that asks. I think that are amazing, i have the V2's and cant stop talking about them. great handeling, ride height adjustment, rebound adjustment and they are not too harsh IMHO. they are harsher than the other options on this post, but i think the sacrafice is well worth it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
see i live in sacramento and i want anice comfortable ride, so what would someone recomend to lower the ugly ass gap and would be comfortable and do well around sacramento

·
Registered
457 Posts
h&r sport/bilstein sport, i have this setup and it is nice. I live in maine, the roads are shit and it really doesn't bother me. It is mint. You'd be loced out.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
toneloc07 said:
see i live in sacramento and i want anice comfortable ride, so what would someone recomend to lower the ugly ass gap and would be comfortable and do well around sacramento

You're going to have a tradeoff in Sac, wheel gap or ride quality. I lived in Sac for 15 years so I know how the roads are. Having said that, I run H&R Race/Bilstein Sports on my wife's Jetta3 and I'm getting H&R Sports/Bilstein Sports for my B5 only because H&R doesn't make a Race spring for the B5. We've take the Jetta to L.A. numberous times and the 5 hours or so each way is very comfortable. The Jetta's ride is *very* firm on quick bumps, but never jarring and it's also very smooth over expansion joints on bridges and what not. I just found out a couple of days ago (entirely by accident) that going over speed bumps is smoother at about 10 miles an hour that if I creep over them. I'd say go with the H&R Sport/Bilstein Sport combo and you'll be happy.

For shops in Sacramento check out Motorsport Dynamics on Arden, behind Dimple Records, Platinum Performance behind the ARCO on Sunrise and Coloma and Sacramento Motoring Accessories (SMA) across the street from the Campbell's soup factory.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
KW coilovers

jeffsu350 et al:

With the rebound adjustment on the V2, couldn't you make the ride less harsh - if you wanted to -

I ask because I am thinking of buying them, but concerned about the ride quality.

bty, is there an inherent handling advantage going with coilovers as opposed to spring/shock combos like the Pro-system?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
clubb5rochester : you can make the ride less harsh, but i believe that at the softest setting it is still harsher than the other set-ups listed here. Im not positive on that one. As far as i know there is no real handeling advantage, stiffer suspension will give you better handling and the other advantage is if you were going around an oval track you can set the car up to make left or right turns better than the other, this way you have a handeling advantage compaired to a normal car. The other advantage it adjustable height without adding anything or undoing any bolts, just jack the car up and turn the purch like device with the provided tool for leverage and your golden.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts