Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. B5 Playa's I need your help once again. I need some new rotors and brakes for my B5 and need some help picking some good stuff for a very decent price. I was looking at some ATE Powerdisc rotors for the front and some mintex red box pads also. The front rotors were$110/set. And the front pads were $55 without sensors and $65 with sensors. The rear pads were $75. Are these good prices and how I can find a rotor for the rear cause the website did not give me any lisiting for rear rotors or are they the same as the front rotors. I have a 01 Passat. Let me know what's up with these prices and if you all can get me these items cheaper then let me know. I'll Holla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Mintext pads are terrible. I wouldn't put them on my car again for free (including free labor, I'm telling you). Mine squeal all the time, despite being professionally installed twice with plenty of "anti-squeal" and going throug the motions of bedding them in more than once.

Don't belive the hype. You'll find that other's on here don't like their mintex pads if you actually ask them, despite their apparent popularity. Something else will be both cheaper and better, I assure you.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The prices you stated are fair...

Ive had good experience with bimmerparts.com for brake parts.
Look under 'Specials' for Mintex pads and Zimmerman rotors.

BigRed obviously doen t like mintex red box pads but Ive had success with them. They are great for the first 20k miles- but have recently faded.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Stay far away from Mintex Redbox brakepads!! :thumbdow:

You should go with ATE Powerdiscs up front and plain faced rotors in the rear. If you don't push the car hard and want to save some $$$, just do Brembo plain-faced all the way around. Now as far as brakepads you might want to go with PBR/Axxis Deluxe Plus or Metal Masters.

Check with ECSTuning for the rotors but for the brakepads there's two vendors I highly recommend. Import Replacement Parts Company; http://www.importrp.com is a great resource for car parts and they carry PBR/Axxis pads. Another great resource is Zeckhausen Racing; http://www.zeckhausen.com owned by David Zeckhausen. He also specializes in brakework for German cars but he's a BMW guy at heart. Dave also gets excellent prices on PBR/Axxis pads and will drop ship them from the distributor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts