Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: Okay, so the install didn't go so good. I got my boost gauge in, it works well, but the grommet is placed in the side of the ecu box popped out. Gotta shove it back in. No biggie. Boost gauge has nice red glow to it. Now to that dang A/F meter. Small wire huh (autometer). Long story short, after butchering the ecu side of the harness (from the O2 sensor(Brown wire within the shielded cable), sautering it back together (tiny wire plus big wire to mate with plus spare VW repair wire = a mess), and checking it, all I have are red led's that are almost flickering out. After all of that, I think I tapped the wrong wire. Any comfort, suggestions, donations toward new ecu side wiring harness from the O2 sensor, etc. are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, after two more tries, two ugly solder jobs, and two curse words-- it's finally working. Thanks all for your support... :crazy:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, hold on. Let me go check. BTW, go on the O2 sensor side. The ECU side is murder. Also, if you have the red color wire taps, that will save you the headache of stripping those tiny wires. BTW, IIRC there is are two gray wires, one white, and one black on the O2 sensor side. I think that the black wire is the sensor wire. It is not the two gray ones.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Did you go off the first O2 sensor or the second ?

I'm debating on which would be better to use :???:

I have yet to hook mine up heh

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
ACraig said:
Did you go off the first O2 sensor or the second ?

I'm debating on which would be better to use :???:

I have yet to hook mine up heh
my gauge is connected to the blue wire of the first sensor ( before cat) brown connector and it works beautifully .
the second sensor has a purple wire for signal and the signal it puts out just make one or two red leds on the lean side turn on ( on the gauge).

·
Registered
490 Posts
I had alot of problems getting mine hooked up also. I think I made two tries before I got the right one. I made my connections in the ECU box because I did not want to have splices in the engine compartment. My lesson learned is to use one of those splicing connectors that work by putting a small nick in the side of the insulation until you get the correct wire. The splice connector can be easly removed and the insulation taped over with a minimum of trama to the wire. When the correct wire is found, then I strip and solder the connection and tape. My A/F meter must be different than yours. I had to hook mine up on the second (down-stream) O2 sensor. Anyway, good luck with yours.

Regards, Ray

·
Registered
879 Posts
Boy,now I know I am totally confused!!!!!!!
I have one sensor before the cat.It has 5 wires grey,yellow,white,purple and black.It's a Bosch O2 sensor.Does anybody know which wire color is the signal for the "lambda"?

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
rogerius said:
Boy,now I know I am totally confused!!!!!!!
I have one sensor before the cat.It has 5 wires grey,yellow,white,purple and black.It's a Bosch O2 sensor.Does anybody know which wire color is the signal for the "lambda"?
You probably have a Wide band sensor. the air/fuel gauge wont work with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
1.8Tabamoura
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing