Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[/rant]

For all of my glasses-wearing brothers out there. This story is just for you.

So I was making dinner this evening, and like normal, the glasses get a little fogged, so what do I do...

I pull them off, and start cleaning them with my shirt...

Then I hear this little *pop*... and immediately, I feel a twinge in the back of my brain. Its a sound I've heard many times before, and it tells me that the cold hand of fate has decided to give me the finger...

The glasses have snapped right down the center. :mad:

And dammit! All in 1/2 of a second, I go from being a normal sighted human being to a blind fool!!!!!!

I tried duct tape, glue, paper clips... nothing holds it together.

So I run like hell over to Lenscrafters to try to find some replacement pairs, and just like Oliver Twist begging for another bowl of porrage, I beg the dirtbag receptionist for him to give me my vision back.

and this chubby fool behind the desk tells me that the cheapest frames they have that will fit my lenses is $130. :shock: .and they won't give me "loaner" frames, even though I've requested to have an appointment tomorrow... :evil:

Sigh... That laser surgery looks better and better every day.

So heck with it. I'm going Paul Sr. style from American Chopper and I am going to rock the sunglasses all afternoon tomorrow 8)

And all them cheaty punk-ass dirtbag salespeople who turn their noses at me and look at me funny just because I'm unwilling to fork over $130 for a lousy nasty looking pair of plastic frames over at that god-forsaken rock they call Lenscrafters can kiss my big pink butt...

I sincerely hope to god I don't have to do anything important tomorrow.

Oh, and did I neglect to mention that its raining buffalo outside!

[/end rant]

Thank you all for letting me vent.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

:p

-J

·
Registered
684 Posts
Dude, two words, contact lenses. I used to be a slave to the spectacle too, but since I got the disposable contact lens I've never looked back. I even see better with the contacts because my glasses didn't cover my peripheral vision.

Give them a try, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll definitely have to consider the lenses.

The only problem is that I am too chicken about putting little plastic objects in my eyes... It just makes me nervous.

Think I need to use a little more preparation in the future... because being blind sux badly.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
lawofkirk said:
I'll definitely have to consider the lenses.

The only problem is that I am too chicken about putting little plastic objects in my eyes... It just makes me nervous.

Think I need to use a little more preparation in the future... because being blind sux badly.
doooooo it! stick those plastic objects in your eyes... it's fun :lol:

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I just had lasik and couldnt be happier...lemme know if you have any questions about it

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Two pair + sunglasses, just like Andy. I can't wear contacts, so none of them, but enough to tide me over. Oh. forgot the safety glasses at work. 3 pair. :)

For heaven's sake, get a backup pair. And skip Lenscrafters, go to an indie shop. They usually have cooler stuff (not Luxotica) and are willing to grind the ultrahighindex materials. My most recent pair (my dj Dmitri ones) cost me $299 and are ultrahighindex (I'm blind) and wicked cool. The frames are from France and well-made. I also love putting money in the pockets of the indie shops and brillenfabrik (no english word for it, means eyeglassfactory).

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Damn Alex - 3 bills for one pair of glasses is a little steep don't you think? I guess you can't put a price on vision, but WOW!!! :shock: I usually budget about that much for a pair of glasses and sunglasses every two years.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
I have been thinking of ditching my specs as well. Not as frustrated as you are but I have broken a pair before.

Seriously thinking about Lasik. As soon as I get a couple more bills paid off I am gonna do it. Some places actually have 0% financing for the procedure. Gotta look into that.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Crap, my last pair set me back $560. My sunglasses were $495. I figure that I have a good job and want to look decent, so I can justify the expenditure over the 3 years I average on a pair of frames. My sunglasses had better last longer than that.

Guys, I don't buy clothes, or even shoes that often. I actually budget for expensive glasses. I have to wear them for the rest of my life, Lasik and contacts are not an option for me. I'll be damned if I am going to look like the rest of the crowd. So instead of a Gucci or Louis Vitton bag or replacing my wardrobe every year, I put the style $$ into really nice frames that I know are unique. No one ever forgets my glasses.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
atomicalex said:
Crap, my last pair set me back $560. My sunglasses were $495. I figure that I have a good job and want to look decent, so I can justify the expenditure over the 3 years I average on a pair of frames. My sunglasses had better last longer than that.

Guys, I don't buy clothes, or even shoes that often. I actually budget for expensive glasses. I have to wear them for the rest of my life, Lasik and contacts are not an option for me. I'll be damned if I am going to look like the rest of the crowd. So instead of a Gucci or Louis Vitton bag or replacing my wardrobe every year, I put the style $$ into really nice frames that I know are unique. No one ever forgets my glasses.
damn...

Mine are a $120 pair from Walmart. been waring them for 3 years now, no problems, heck the lenses are still cyrstal clear.

-Nick

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
i like the contacts personally. no worries about breaking them, if you do, you have another pair, u wasted money, but not $130, maybe $5 or $10 for a pair. you can look down, around, sideways without moving your head cause the contact moves with your eye. They are confertable once in your eye. The only problem is remembering to take them out, cause if you dont they hurt real bad and it can perminatly mess up your eyes. but contacts are definatly the way to go

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Laser surgery seems weird, I saw a TLC bit on it and they have to first numb the shit outta your eyelids and whatnot then spread it open using tools to the point where it's nearly popping out of your eye socket, then they put some object into your eye to align the laser with or something, then they burn away.........

Z28 is it as weird as it looked on the TV? :???:

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Kiyoshi said:
Z28 is it as weird as it looked on the TV? :???:
i suppose based on your description yes thats pretty much what happens...is it painful? no not really infact i expected much worse. I am sure its far more ugly to watch then to be the patient in. I was uncomfortable for about a day after that I felt great and I have never had vision this good. You are pretty numbed up so about all I felt was like i had a severe eyestrain from the drops but other then that it was almost painless. I'd gladly do it knowing all the risks again to not have to put up with my glasses

1 - 15 of 15 Posts