Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kicking it around. After my 5.5 is paid off considering a slightly larger car and the 4.2 has always been on my list of cars. Aside from maintinece what are the Pros and Cons I should look at?

(I know I'm asking for it!!!!)

Sean :)

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Is A8 in consideration as well? :thumbup:

I am not sure of the 4.2 reliability, but I can only imagine it to be solid. We are on our 3rd A6 (1999, 2001 and now a 2003) at work. They have all been very reliable, but we have not kept any past 40k miles.

Your best bet would be to look into a certified used or a newer low mileage which is still under factory warranty.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No the 8 is too much car. I'm just concerned with how reliable the 4.2 is. I've heard horror stories about electrical,etc. for the 2.7. Trying to find a local dealer to test drive one, but the 4.2 is a rare bird.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
loooooove the 4.2 - on paper... of course, i've never driven one. Nice that it comes with a pretty serious sport package; wheels, suspension, seats - and you gotta love those flared fenders. :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had a 4.2 the car before my b5.5. In a nutshell, the car was the bomb. Very fast, albeit for an automatic, and instant power when you wanted it. I drove the 2.7t and the 4.2, and there was no comparison. Of course, my wife wouldn't let me get the 2.7t with a 6-speed or...... :D

Very nice luxury touches, as was to be expected in an Audi, and the car was fantastic on the open road.

You can't go wrong with it, really. I highly recommend the sports package with the car, as well: great wheels and 4 bucket seats.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
Sean, I originally wanted to do the A6 4.2 but couldn't see myself spending 50+K on the car. I also test drove it a few times and I have to say it was instant :heart: between the power and the look.

Now as for the long term issues I really don't know of any but then again I am no expert either.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hoffbrau said:
I had a 4.2 the car before my b5.5. In a nutshell, the car was the bomb. Very fast, albeit for an automatic, and instant power when you wanted it. I drove the 2.7t and the 4.2, and there was no comparison. Of course, my wife wouldn't let me get the 2.7t with a 6-speed or...... :D

Very nice luxury touches, as was to be expected in an Audi, and the car was fantastic on the open road.

You can't go wrong with it, really. I highly recommend the sports package with the car, as well: great wheels and 4 bucket seats.
You had one and went to a b5.5? I haven't been able to tell if the Sports Package is standard or not. Is it? Matter of fact I have yet to find one to test drive :(
That's why I'm looking at a used or Audi Certified model, I can't justify 50k for it either. But I figure it's the nicest looking way to embaress you W8 owners...... :poke:

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Friend of mine have A6 V6 2.8 QM, not latest model. the one from '00. I drove car and was driven in it. It is same like B5.5. Like space, I am saying.

·
0 Posts
Hey nenad when you wrap your meaty paws around the steering wheel of a 4.2 or the magically delicious 2.7t the memory of that benign v6 2.8 will fall out of your head like the screws in your belly pan.

The 2.7t is a blast to drive and if you tune it theres not many cars that can match the pace. I'm going to be seeking one out in the future but I'm also considering the A8 slapping some 20' on and parking in the bling bling section at the discoteq :thumbup:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
20vvillian said:
.... bling bling section at the discoteq :thumbup:
I might look for that section while I'm looking for the a 4.2. The 2.7t is nice but the 4.2 has that look with the flared fenders. I just need to find one to test drive..... :mad:

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
20vvillian said:
Hey nenad when you wrap your meaty paws around the steering wheel of a 4.2 or the magically delicious 2.7t the memory of that benign v6 2.8 will fall out of your head like the screws in your belly pan.

The 2.7t is a blast to drive and if you tune it theres not many cars that can match the pace. I'm going to be seeking one out in the future but I'm also considering the A8 slapping some 20' on and parking in the bling bling section at the discoteq :thumbup:
I agree with you 110%, I just referred on HunterRose wish to have larger car.A6 is not larger inside that B5/5.5 or is, but insignificatly.

for me, best Real world sedan/wagon is RS6. I would go even with sedan RS4 if it would exist, or it will 8) .As long as 2nd car is Pajero/Montero LWB 3.2DI-D 2000

·
Registered
113 Posts
You had one and went to a b5.5?

Yes, actually I did.

My wife and I had our second child, and we felt that her quitting her job to stay at home with the kids was more important than driving a 50k car.

I do miss the power, though. :)

·
0 Posts
hoffbrau said:
You had one and went to a b5.5?

Yes, actually I did.

My wife and I had our second child, and we felt that her quitting her job to stay at home with the kids was more important than driving a 50k car.

I do miss the power, though. :)
Priorities....ahhhh! give this man some applause please! :thumbup:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gotcha.
I would love an RS6, but that's so far off it's sick. But since I'm looking at least a year out (my B5 will be paid for)I've got time. Besides the new Passat (hope with touches of the Phaeton) might just sway me back to VW, but I'll be a tough call.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
The A6 has, for the past 3 years, been very much below average for reliability according to Consumer reports. in fact they now call it a car to avoid. Also, the members of the AudiFans q-list report MANY ongoing problems with the A6. It's not just the 2.7T, it all of them (although the 2.7T is the worst). If you are looking for reliable luxury, I'd suggest sticking with Acura, lexus or Infinity. That said...if you can hanlde the lower than average reliability...the A6 4.2 is a BLAST...I came thsi close (picture fingers only an incha apart) from buying one, but the lack of reliability scared me off...

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
I LOVE 4.2 A6s.

Same way I love Northstar Sevilles, Olds Auroras, W8s, 540s, the last SHOs....anything roomy with a stout V8 and I'm in.

Don't rag on me for metioning American cars in there with the German ones. Torque is about the only thing that makes me overlook the stuff we all loath the American cars for.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
20vvillian said:
2.6T yes thats the worst version it so bad they never made it! :poke: :lol:
Oops, you kow I meant 2.7T... :oops:

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Sharky said:
I LOVE 4.2 A6s.

Same way I love Northstar Sevilles, Olds Auroras, W8s, 540s, the last SHOs....anything roomy with a stout V8 and I'm in.

Don't rag on me for metioning American cars in there with the German ones. Torque is about the only thing that makes me overlook the stuff we all loath the American cars for.
Oldsmobile just recalled 1995-1997 Auroras for engine fire problems.

I did really dig them when they first came out. :oops:

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
All I have to say about current American cars is :puke: , except for the CTS-V.
Older cars are a different story. I would never turn down a 1966 Stngray or a second generation Avanti in mint condition.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts