Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,310 Posts
Audi's have and will continue to be plagued with electrical problems. VW has them too, but the gremlins the Audi's have far outnumber and outweigh VW's. Can't speak to labor rates either...probably about the same. A lot of parts are interchangeable between the too also...just a different shell/interior looks. I had an Audi 4000S and couldn't WAIT for it to die. Other than electrical, not too sure. Can you tell I hate them?! :mad:

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
A4 is smaller overall and inside
A4 is more expensive
A4 maintaining is more expensive
A4 forums usualy sucks
They have same engines and lots of other parts are compatibile

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
You said he's look at B5's, so I assume either will be used? If so he will be able to get AWD with the 1.8T in the A4, not the Passat.
The A4 has a high status, it's seen as more luxurious.
The A4 has a nicer interior IMO.
He will get better service with an A4 than the Passat.
If he gets the A4 he'll never have to hear "That's a nice Jetta!".
He'll be able to find an A4 with the Sport Package which comes a little bit lower and is tuned for the twists a little bit more than the Passat's sloppy ride.

·
Registered
789 Posts
swcrow17 said:
Audi's have and will continue to be plagued with electrical problems. VW has them too, but the gremlins the Audi's have far outnumber and outweigh VW's. Can't speak to labor rates either...probably about the same. A lot of parts are interchangeable between the too also...just a different shell/interior looks. I had an Audi 4000S and couldn't WAIT for it to die. Other than electrical, not too sure. Can you tell I hate them?! :mad:
My dad just got a brand new a8L and it is currently at the dealer for the 3rd time because they cant seem to get the problem concerning an electrical gremlin solved. The phone and gps wont work. If my dad has to bring the car baack one more time hes gonna lemon it because its obserd.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Nenad said:
A4 is smaller overall and inside
A4 is more expensive
A4 maintaining is more expensive
A4 forums usualy sucks
They have same engines and lots of other parts are compatibile
VW is an Audi it's the wolf in sheeps clothing!
Vw has all the same Audi symbols on there parts :wink:

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,310 Posts
My dad just got a brand new a8L and it is currently at the dealer for the 3rd time because they cant seem to get the problem concerning an electrical gremlin solved. The phone and gps wont work. If my dad has to bring the car baack one more time hes gonna lemon it because its obserd.[/quote]

See :mad: :mad: :mad: ??? Ya know, you probably do get better service and get looked at with more respect, but if a car is that plagued with problems, is it really worth it? Nope. Stay with the beloved VW, deal with what other people think, and enjoy the ride. Use the money you saved to put into mods!!!!! :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've owned both and currently have the more perfect option. The passat with 1.8t manual, 4motion, chipped with APR software (Direct Port). I used to own a '00 A4 manual, 2.8 with the "sport suspension". I bought both new. The Audi sucked, imo. It was slow, had a dog of a clutch feel, electrical problems, was small, handled relatively poorly and had too many electrical systems for it's own good. Not to mention, the ergonomics of the dash-HVAC as well as light controls were very poorly thought out. After 2 years in the audi, I still had to take my eyes off the road to adjust the temperature or fan. My Vw on the other hand, is so very well thought out, user friendly, intelligently designed and, fast. I had it chipped last week and, it feels like a small block V8; much faster and more powerful the the v6! the ergonomics are first rate--simple, clean, logical, and handsome. This, of course, with out the cruise control. It's also a near perfect size, IMO.
The audi w/the 2.8 was a bit smoother but more squirley in the handling department. Enough said. I am very impressed with the new '04 passat.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,310 Posts
Hey znalg:
You just got a direct port APR chip????? I'm getting one next week. I've got a 02 1.8T....did you notice a sizeable gain or what? I'm stoked about it and definitely what some insight on what I can look forward to. Thanks :wink:

·
Registered
381 Posts
I test drove an A4 when shopping, along with my Passat. My immediate reaction to the A4 was that it was smallish inside and noisy as hell. All I could hear was engine noise the whole drive. My W8 is quiet and smooth.

·
Registered
71 Posts
swcrow17,
The Apr DPP is one hell of an improvement. I got the 93 octane program and, it transformed the car. The engine is extremely powerful and pulls strongly from about 2300 rpms. It is very satisfying.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Beavis said:
I test drove an A4 when shopping, along with my Passat. My immediate reaction to the A4 was that it was smallish inside and noisy as hell. All I could hear was engine noise the whole drive. My W8 is quiet and smooth.
The older A4 seems very small, it's much harder for me to get into than the Passat. The new B6 A4 is a little bigger, but still not like the Passat.

·
Registered
93 Posts
johnnyriv said:
Well , The passat and the Audi are very similar cars.

If you make your decision on after sales service ... you gotta another thing coming with the passat.
For what little its worth, my local stealer has a new service writer on the VW side who had spent years w/Audi. Long story short, he sez its an eye opener to see how badly VW customers are treated vs. Audi.

<rant on> With the (lack) of quality and VW attitude, I wouldn't recommend my car (Passat) I'm tired of crap like hoses failing on a 3 year old car. Especially when power brake boost goes bye-bye. <rant off>

Tony Wirtel

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.