Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I bought my '03 W8 in November with 21,531 miles on the odometer. I took it in to have the trunk hinges replaced and one of the remotes reprogrammed a week later. I had no further problems, and I quickly put several hundred very enjoyable miles on it.

I had noticed a sort of liquidy gurgling noise coming from under the dashboard/firewall/nether regions of the car immediately after every start and continuing for a short time after engaging either drive or reverse.

This noise disappears after a few (4-10) seconds, and I do not hear it after that until the next time I start the car. All gauges read normally, and no warning lights or messages appear. The car drives wonderfully.

I thought perhaps this was the ABS system doing a self test on startup, although I don't feel anything through the brake pedal as I back out of the garage in the morning.

I have also got another noise that I am unable to describe better than a fan suddenly gone berserk, or a cricket on LSD! i.e., a high pitched, whirring noise. This noise is random in occurrence, and again, only happens at startup and never for more than a few seconds.

Since I believe that the car will run just fine without any extraneous noises, I made an appointment for yesterday to have my dealer give it a going over. Jon, my service advisor, tells me that they'd like to keep it all day to make certain that they find the source of these noises. Fine by me, I ask a friend to accompany me, and get me back home.

I go out to the garage at 06:30, press the unlock button on my remote, the lights flash and the car doesn't unlock. Hey dummy, did you hit the lock button? Try it again. No, I'm pressing the correct button, but no joy. How about the trunk? Yessir, the remote opens the trunk just fine.

Well it must have been a momentary glitch, try unlocking the doors again. The lights flash and nothing happens. I try the other remote, same story. Both remotes will manually open the car, and start it, but neither of them will lock the car once I've unlocked it. The automatic lock doesn't engage at 8-10 mph either, but I am too busy to notice this until afterwards.

I start the car, she sounds great, fires right off, short gurgle, no cricket, and the gas gauge is pegged on "E". I know I've got a half of a tank of gas. All of the other instruments work fine. I check the MFD, how many miles until it is time to refuel? Four dashes.

I check the other functions, avg mpg - fine, could be higher. Time on the road - fine. Avg. speed - fine, etc., etc. All of the lights work, as does the radio and the cd changer. The Climatronic seems to be o.k. and I drive to the dealer without further incident. No warning lights or messages.

After reporting all of this to my service advisor, I hop in my buddy's '06 Jetta and we head on down the road. We get about two miles and my phone rings "Your windows don't work either." says Jon, "We do a walk around to check out the cars, I'll call you as soon as we find out what's going on."

At 16:30 Jon calls to say my beautiful Passat is in pieces on the shop floor, they haven't found the problem(s), and he's calling the original dealer to see if he can get a little history on the vehicle, and would I mind if the Passat stayed overnight?

That my friends is the story so far, I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
The "cricket on LSD" is actually the fuel pump priming.
The first time I heard it, I thought it was the seat moving to the program setting. Drove me nuts at first!
I think it only does after the car has been sitting awhile - like overnight.
I don't think it happens everytime you open the driver's door.
I have heard an odd gurgling (from time to time) but have noticed no ill effects. My V6 4Motion gurgled once in a while too.
You could have a bad CCM, or even something that is grounding improperly and causing your other problems.
My wifes 2001.5 had a faulty fuel level sending unit (replaced under warranty, with a free boot print on the headliner in the back seat?!?)
Good luck W8 Brother.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Do you have a Tip? If so, that's the gurgling. My '98 1.8T Tip gurgles too. Seems to be a first-time-in-the-morning-startup phenomenon.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hey fellas, thanks for the quick response. I apologise for not providing a better description of the car. It is a 2003 W8 with the Tiptronic transmission, CD changer in the trunk, otherwise bone stock, Candy White/Beige.

I've purchased a K & N air filter for it (not installed), and may do some other modifications in the future.

Stewart, yes the "cricket" only chirps in the morning after the car has sat in the garage over night.

Rusty, I believe you're spot on with the Tip tip, again, it's a first-time-in-the-morning sort of thing.

A little update from the dealership, they too believe the electrical problems stem from an improper ground, and they're trying to isolate it. They have ordered a new instrument cluster, and will be looking at the CCM as well.

Once again, thank you both for your help. I'll have to buy you guys a beer when our paths cross. What's your preference?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Stewart, I was serious about that beer. Albuquerque is little out of my normal range, so Rusty might have to wait 'til summer, but Plymouth on the other hand...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Back in the saddle again!

Hi , I apologize for resurrecting such an old thread, and not reporting back sooner than this. I got my W8 back last Monday evening. All of the problems I was having have been solved.

The cause of the problems was "Fuel pump control module submersed in water". The module was replaced (it had to be flown in from somewhere), some wires re-sealed and all of the electrical problems disappeared.

Stewart, even the "cricket" went away. I have not heard it since then. The gurgling noise will be with me for a while longer, I am told by my service advisor.

It was not the Tiptronic as suggested by Rusty, nor the ABS like I thought. It is air in the heater core / Climatronic system. The tech spoke with VWoA's tech help line, and was told that this was "a normal condition". The system is self bleeding, and the gurgle should go away on its own.

Since my heater works fine, as does the rest of the car, I am happily driving once more.

If you can believe it, I got "lost" after I picked up the car. It took me several hours to find my way home!

Thank you, one and all, for your help and encouragement.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
About the gurgling - I had the same problem and had been told by some that its normal, but I noticed it only happened on cold starts and if I bled the coolant line by the battery it went away for a few weeks. On top of that I noticed a very very slow coolant leak and thought they were related. Turns out coolant was leaking through the water pump. Once that got fixed, the noise went away too.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jeez Bill, I haven't noticed any coolant on the garage floor, nor any smell of coolant around the car. The level in the expansion tank looks ok too (hot or cold). Don't be jinxin' me!

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Stymie, can I safely assume you reside in the greater MSP area?
A couple of us also hang out with the neuwerks.com crowd - more general euro club, but we get together once a month or so, and they do a road rally every quarter (last one was in October thru MN/WI, maybe 200 miles?). One comming up in February as a matter of fact.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stewart, humble Fridley is where I currently hang my hat.

I had planned to be loitering on the river flats near the U of M this coming Saturday, but it looks like work is rearing its ugly head, and I'll have to miss the GTG, ribs, eye candy, and pleasant company.

I haven't had a chance to check out neuwerks.com, but a chance to get together with fellow enthusiasts would be fun. I'll clear the decks for February, and I'll also "watch this space" for further news.

In the interim, are you familiar with "Jakes" just W. of 494 on 55?

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
It truly is a small world - my wife is originally from Fridley.
We met in Ft. Myers FL, got married in 2000, and moved up here in August.
Jake's is the sports bar there on the corner?
Oh, and in case you haven't figured this one out, I'm aka BlueSteW8 on spinner.dk/W8.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jake's is the sports bar there on the corner?.
I've been there twice, the first time to buy dinner for a buddy who'd helped me on a project out in Buffalo, MN. We'd taken Hwy 55 out and back, spur of the moment kind of thing. The second time was the night I bought my W8, I had gone straight home to my beloved, had dinner, worked on a few things around the place, and by 10:00 PM I was going crazy!

My sweetie looked up at me from her book, and asked "Honey, would you like to take your new car out for a drive? I'll just stay here and read, if you don't mind." How can I not love a woman like that?

To make a long story short, I just made a circle - 694/94 w, some county roads south to 55, and back into town. About 150 miles, all told.

I felt the need for some liquid refreshment, and lo and behold! I'm right outside of Jake's "Sports" bar.

It's certainly nothing special, I mentioned it because it is the only watering hole I know of in Plymouth. Lotta TVs with not much on 'em, and most of the "sports" are revving their loud piped pickups out in the parking lot.

I'm not much of a bar guy, although I do like a beer now and then, and these days a 12 pack might last me a month.

Oh, and in case you haven't figured this one out, I'm aka BlueSteW8 on spinner.dk/W8.
Go on, pull the other one! ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
DSC_1228.jpg
Hello.
I'm having the same problem. I took my Pump control module out today and its toast. There was about a cup of water in the wheel well. The means that the cables feed into the wheel well are very questionable...what where they thinking? Rust is the next issue. I found that there is a fatter small section of the cable that needs to be pulled snugly from outside into the hole of the diaphragm rubber membrane. I think that’s how it’s meant to be..? Mine wasn't like that at all; more of a hotdog down the hallway as far as water resistance goes :lol:
Are there any major repercussions for not replacing this right away? I kind of understand the fuel load auto balancing it controls, however will all the fuel get used or will that 20L extra tank not get transferred now?
Thanks everyone :thumbup:

·
Moderate Moderator
16,464 Posts
Yikes! That board is a mess. Your best bet is probably a wreckers yard or part-out. That's a W8 exclusive part. I don't know if any of the module repair places rework these. My guess would be no because there aren't all that many.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Can't you try some "rust-out" on that board?
You have nothing to lose and you may actually be able to save it. In case you may need it, soldering irons are cheap.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have finally replaced the part!

US$234 plug and play. Dealership's quote was CND$500 and they said it needed to be programed. I called bullshit as its part is only found in the W8.
Now to somehow water proof it all so it wont happen again.
Thanks for everyone's help and advice! :bowdown:

For sale: Lightly used Pump control module ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh, also. To answer my own question and possibly others in the future;
(Are there any major repercussions for not replacing this right away? I kind of understand the fuel load auto balancing it controls, however will all the fuel get used or will that 20L extra tank not get transferred now?)

No problem with not replacing it. No fuel gauge or Distance to empty display. The 20L tank (W8 only) dose not get transferred to the main "saddle bag" style tank.
I kept a container of fuel in the car for when it would run dry and with some calculations was able to confirm when the car ran out of fuel it had only used the 60L from the main tank.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts