Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well even though I have no personal connection to the people/children involved it still saddens me. I have no children of my own but I can imagine how I'd feel if my neice/nephew died and that is still probably not even close to the loss a parent feels.

My heart goes out to their families.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/americas/04/28/colombia.school.bus.ap/index.html

CNN News said:
BOGOTA, Colombia (AP) -- A construction crew's backhoe tumbled down a steep hillside onto a major highway Wednesday and crushed a school bus, killing at least 21 children and two adults, and injuring 36 children, officials said.

The backhoe was being towed along a section of road higher up the hill when it rolled off a ledge and plunged nearly 70 feet before crushing the bus on the highway below, said Claudia Cubillos, a spokeswoman for the Bogota Health Ministry, which oversees rescue efforts.

Mayor Luis Eduardo Garzon sped to the scene of the accident by motorbike to show solidarity with the victims and their families.

"This is a dramatic, terrible tragedy," Garzon told reporters at the scene of the crash.

The children aboard the bus ranged in age from 7 and 12. Ambulances with sirens wailing rushed the injured to hospital, but there were no immediate details on the conditions of the injured.

Around a hundred emergency workers and police used heavy machinery to try to clear the mangled wreckage. There were reports that some children were still trapped in the bus.

Police, meanwhile, struggled to keep back panicked families desperate to find out if their children were among the victims.

Sgt. Alberto Cantillo, a spokesman for the Bogota Police Department, said it was not immediately clear whether the two adults were traveling inside the bus. The bus driver survived unharmed, while the backhoe's driver was in a critical condition.

It was not immediately clear why the excavator tumbled off the road, though witnesses said the driver lost control of the vehicle.

Police said an investigation was under way.
:( :( :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
204 Posts
that is horrible i cant imagine what it must be like for the parents or the people that may have caused this it must be just horrible my heart goes out to any one that has been effected by this tragedy :(

Dee

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
10 Participants
deeman911
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing