Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
June 02, 2004
BMW's Formula One-style gearbox may become only performance transmission option


Do you like the stick shift and the clutch pedal in your BMW M car? Enjoy it now because the folks in Munich have seen the future and it’s called SMG (as in Sequential Manual Gearbox).

The company’s second-generation SMG is an option on the M3, and the next-generation M5 will also feature the Formula One racing-style paddle shifters, sans the traditional clutch pedal and gearshift lever. According to Rolf Scheibner, product manager for M cars, it won’t be long before SMG is the only transmission option for the performance cars.

“With SMG, you can shift faster and it is better for the engine, the clutch and the transmission,” says Scheibner. “With the M cars, top performance is the key, and with SMG, it is the top performance.”
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,449 Posts
another reason why they are no longer a marque of desire in my eyes. their styling sucks this just ices it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,992 Posts
hahahahhahahaha pathetic! The ultimate driving machine...that drives itself! what a load of shite.
 

·
Lisa Simpson
Joined
·
15,043 Posts
Truth is that the SMGs are the performance option. They are not the driver option, but they are surely the route to crazy performance. However, I am not interested. I like my trusty manual, and I enjoy a bit of freewheeling now and then. I also like being intimate with the driving experience, and SMGs take away some of that. So, thank you, BMW for thinking about performance. But thank you not, as I will sacrifice a bit of performance for a bit of driving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
NoneRock said:
another bad move for BMW.

The SMG transmission sounds great, and it probably is all it's cracked up to be, but you need to still offer a manual transmission as an option for any performance oriented vehicle.
Of course, SMG *is* a manual transmission. Anyway, I think I'd call this a performance oriented vehicle. No "standard" manual available. In fact, everyone who has ridden a bike understands the advantage of sequential transmissions. Of course, the BMW sequential transmission does not function like bike sequentials but the gist is the same. Honestly, I don't understand, other than tradition, what advantage the standard manual transmission could have over SMG. Even without BMWs automatic hydraulic clutch, the time required to shift a traditional standard can not match a sequential manual system.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
The Blue Blur said:
hahahahhahahaha pathetic! The ultimate driving machine...that drives itself! what a load of shite.
How does a car with SMG drive itself? I suppose you've deactivated your power brakes and steering because they cause the car to "drive itself"? SMG is a sequential gearbox. That helps you to drive the car better. So what's the problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,538 Posts
I recently drove an SMG equipped M3, and I hated it. It was one of the first generation SMGs, and whatever I did, I could not get it to shift smoothly. I was told I was suppose to let off the gas as I shift, just like in a manual...but then if you leave the car in fully automatic mode, you have to guess when to let off the gas...it made no sense to me.

Its only saving grace was that it really did shift fast if you leave it in the hardest/quickest shifting mode. I did not have to chance to test out the launch control...as it was a friend of a friend's car.

I guess the new ones are suppose to be better...but I have yet to try one of those.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,006 Posts
cerev1 said:
NoneRock said:
another bad move for BMW.

The SMG transmission sounds great, and it probably is all it's cracked up to be, but you need to still offer a manual transmission as an option for any performance oriented vehicle.
Of course, SMG *is* a manual transmission. Anyway, I think I'd call this a performance oriented vehicle. No "standard" manual available. In fact, everyone who has ridden a bike understands the advantage of sequential transmissions. Of course, the BMW sequential transmission does not function like bike sequentials but the gist is the same. Honestly, I don't understand, other than tradition, what advantage the standard manual transmission could have over SMG. Even without BMWs automatic hydraulic clutch, the time required to shift a traditional standard can not match a sequential manual system.



I agree 100%. I am a manual lover, and that smg is great. I thank bmw for giving me that at all. think of it this way if you liked it at all what other car can you get it on?


Nick
 

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
Joined
·
7,048 Posts
cerev1 said:
The Blue Blur said:
hahahahhahahaha pathetic! The ultimate driving machine...that drives itself! what a load of shite.
How does a car with SMG drive itself? I suppose you've deactivated your power brakes and steering because they cause the car to "drive itself"? SMG is a sequential gearbox. That helps you to drive the car better. So what's the problem?
We need to go back to mechanical brakes too! I also think EFI controls the car too much. Gimme a good ol' 4 barrel so I can adjust it myself. Don't need no fancing computer adjusting my air-fuel mixture for me.

Don't even get me started on power windows!

Now, if sequentials transmissions are so much better, why are all these sport bikes so slow? 0-60 in only 2.4 seconds.....
end sarcasm.

Actually I have never driven one, but the concept seems very sound. Street clutches soak up power, and few of us can shift fast enough to take advantage of a manual. They are more fun of course.....guess we'll have to see how the public reacts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
cerev1, thanks for the info...
Presuming that it is used properly, how does an SMG detract from the driving experience? Seems to me like the ideal interface between driver and machine as far as transmissions go. :???:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
SMG takes away too much driver involvment. Might as well drive an auotmatic. Gee, what fun pulling back, or pushing up on a lever, or worse, pushing a freaking button. Ho hum, boring!

I'll take the tradional manual, with double clutching, matching revs, choosing my gear the old fashioned, traditional way thank you!

It's kind of like driving the wheels off of a slow car. If the car's limits are low enough, slow cornering speeds can still be fun...

For me anyway, better isn't always BETTER.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
DenimA4CVT said:
Medrosje said:
another reason why they are no longer a marque of desire in my eyes. their styling sucks this just ices it.
Not to mention the lost of cockpit interiors and addition of i-Drive.
Man, how did I end up defending BMW? :D Anyway, I agree that the styling of the new BMWs is not great. I don't spend a lot of time looking at the outside of my car, though. A great interior will easily minimize any issues I might have with an exterior. I like Audi/VW interiors a bit better, but a BMW cockpit is not a lousy place to spend some time.

 
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top