Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
Of course, as always, the president's budget will be dead on arrival since congress makes budgets and spends money. I don't know if we'll every get congress to stop giving money they don't have to people. :( Could you imagine the outcry if Bush would have sent a balanced budget proposal?

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Urlik said:
Of course, as always, the president's budget will be dead on arrival since congress makes budgets and spends money. I don't know if we'll every get congress to stop giving money they don't have to people. :( Could you imagine the outcry if Bush would have sent a balanced budget proposal?
the whole gov is currently repub. so I'm confused, perhaps, why 'congress' (ie, repub) is fighting the pres (repub) ?

and, republicanism is supposed to be 'don't spend money' - if you're the gov. and 'keep all the money' - if you're the rich.

I can see where the 'keep all the money' part comes in, with the current admin; but where's the other part about the gov _not_ spending money?

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
Republicans, like Democrats aren't all of the same mind. YOU know that. There are conservative Republicans that are whining about the spending going on and there are ones that want to give out money for votes. There are the same folks on the Democrats side, although different ratios. It's a comgressional problem more than anything else IMHO, although Bush gets more power with the budget than Clinton did since the Rs control both houses. You know what would have happened had he propsed a balanced budget. ALL hell would have broken loose, especially from the members of the house since all of them need to get reelected this year. I don't know why I'm wasting my time telling you this crap, you'd never admit to anthing different than you've already thrown out. It's never a "discussion" when your involved since your mind is always 100% right already.

edit: Sorry Linux. Just reread your post. It is a discussion, since your asking questions. :oops: Although I think you know the answers. It's about buying votes. The majority in congress (both sides and the independant included) are buying votes with their budget. None could stnad the outcry if they tried to spend within the taxes collected. ESPECIALLY if social security was figured in correctly. Oh...sorry again.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
The interesting thing that seems to get overlooked is that the biggest spending increases in modern times have always occurred during the Republican leadership. So there is a misconception as to the Dems being the ones that spend. The thing is that the Dems do it on primarily social programs so they love to scream and yell and show how much good they are doing. The Rep. do it on things like defense and tend to tone down how much they are spending so it gives the appearence they are not.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I think it's all part of a starve and cut strategy. Spend like crazy for defense and cut taxes then turn around and say, "O we don't have any money.... guess we'll have to cut the EPA, Welfare, IRS Big Business Tax Fraud, and any other department that doesn't benefit my "pals". Meanwhile lets go to the moon and "help churches" (because they are so over burdened with property taxes and whatnot). BTW... If the economy fairy appears and waves her magic wand the deficit will be cut in half! Never mind the current debt... that's just made believe money that lenders make a ton off interest every year... nothing behind the curtain! Don't look over there! Hey did I mention scaarry terrorists? Boo! Ha! Got your attention!

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
Guyute said:
The interesting thing that seems to get overlooked is that the biggest spending increases in modern times have always occurred during the Republican leadership. So there is a misconception as to the Dems being the ones that spend. The thing is that the Dems do it on primarily social programs so they love to scream and yell and show how much good they are doing. The Rep. do it on things like defense and tend to tone down how much they are spending so it gives the appearence they are not.
A lot of truth there. In fact, fiscal constraint does best with a D as president and R controlling the purse strings in congress. One nice thing about non-social program spending though is that you can cut it later. The reality is, you can't get away with cutting a social program. Heck you can't even get away without increasing it less than inflation every year. All of a sudden they call that a cut.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts