Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
8,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to do this very soon and need to know a few things.

1st. How do you take the back sus system off our cars?? :crazy:
2nd. Do I need just the spring compresser or strut compresser too
3rd. I have bilsteins with three settings which one should I pick? and what is each one stand for (front shocks and hardest to softest setting)?

TIA

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Rears are cake. Unbolt the strut top and bottom, and the springs fall out of their perches. Fronts are more difficult to remove, and you need a spring compressor to disassemble the spring-strut assembly.

Don't know about the Bilstien settings.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
i have koni adjustables and i have them on the hardest setting (front and back) I do not recommend this unless you are ready for some teeth rattling experience...i love it some don't

·
Registered
419 Posts
Im assuming your are using the stock springs? if so, set the bilsteins to the softest. If you are using stiffer springs, you might want a medium setting on the bilsteins. A hard setting would only be useful on the track.
Remember, the dampers are there primarily to absorb the energy of the springs. Without your car would literally hop over bumps. The firmer your springs, the more energy they retain. Springs help with keeping the car steady, dampers keep the wheels planted.
Also, consider your location.. if you have crap roads like we do you will probably want to go with the softer setting. Even with stiffer springs.

ps, you will only need the strut compressor. ive found, with the konis atleast, that you may need to leave one of the compressors on the strut assembly in order to easily get it installed. Otherwise its just too long.. longer than the stock strut.
Incidentally, i had H&R sports with Koni adjustables on softest setting. Bilsteins might differ a bit.

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
Bilsteins are not adjustable for firmness. There may be 3 notches for height adjustment on the front. Most people set them on the lowest. It really depends on what springs you are running. There is a writeup in the info forum on suspension replacement. Since you are in the rust belt,start spraying the upper control arm retaining bolt now and soak it for a few days.

8,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have neuspeed sports going with the shocks and was look at putting them on the softest setting. But will that give my the cool front slope, Also my roads are pot holey too. So do I need to have the spring or strut compresser???? Thanks for the info to on the rear shocks :thumbup: .

Also witch ring is the soft and hard???? Is the top one soft or hard??
Thanks again everybody :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

·
Registered
419 Posts
pson said:
I have neuspeed sports going with the shocks and was look at putting them on the softest setting. But will that give my the cool front slope, Also my roads are pot holey too. So do I need to have the spring or strut compresser???? Thanks for the info to on the rear shocks :thumbup: .

Also witch ring is the soft and hard???? Is the top one soft or hard??
Thanks again everybody :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
so did you get the bilsteins from neuspeed? my understanding of these is that the ring (clip?) only adjusts the height of the perch. it has nothing to do with soft or hard. If that is the case, having the front a little lower will increase your front traction a bit but will also put you closer to the road. your overall travel will change as well. I think you should set them at the top ring/slot.. but that can also depend on your model year. it may be too high for some later model passats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts