Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my story, at first I thought of sayin this as a bad story, but then I thought maybe some would see it as an oportunity.. I know a friend of mine has.....
I went to my local dealer and the guy that helped me was friendly.. so we got to talking and I know of some places that help you by getting you a discount (I had a friend at the HOnda dealer and he gave me his discount)..
so I asked the guy... I had to buy a timing belt kit an oil cooler and a serpetine belt.. so the invocie was pretty high.. (for me anyway)...
so he says.... sure I can help you... i'll have the parts by tomorrow.. I can get them almost half price..
I say.. great...
then later I get to thinking that I needed something else.. so I call the guy and he says.. sure I'll get that too.. ... if I can..... cause there are a lot of cameras....
call me stupid, but when he said the discount I thought he was getting them cheaper for some special reason. hahaha... not stealing them...
so I called the guy the next day and said I wasn't gonna make it, that I'd call him later..
got the parts somwhere else and dropped the subject when I visit the dealer..
opportunity?? or big NO NO!???

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
if your that concerned about it why dont you call him and tell him to get the parts together and meet you.. but have his boss and the police meet him instead.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
either way hes going to steal. why not take up on the oppertunity while it lasts

and if he does get caught..you thought he was giving you his employee discount

simple as that

but always remember stealing is bad...dont do it

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
First off, this isn't a story of a "corrupt dealer", it is a story of a "courrpt employee at a dealer". The dealer themselves had nothing to do with it.

Next, no, you don't want to buy these "five-finger-discount" parts. That is immoral, and knowingly accepting stolen goods is a crime in and of itself.

SirWired

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yeah, this is bad news all around, but if that doesn't deter your, just think about this: What are you going to do if he gets the wrong part or if the part is defective?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just to make it clear..
I didn't get the parts...
and I won't..
I couldn't have said it better..
"if you know they're stolen...".. then no..
just wanted to check on some answers, I knew there were some people who would say the'd take the opportunity.... like a friend of mine did..

and yes. .I'm sorry... it's not a corrupt dealer.. its an employee..
you're right.. I don't know how far it goes up the chain... but yes I only know of him......

thanks

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,696 Posts
Yes, you made the right choice by not buying the parts from him. Sounds like he will get caught soon enough at the dealership.

·
Registered
133 Posts
All I can say is that any dealership is just a bunch of hungry vultures that would rip you off if they had a chance. At least with my experience. (When I bought my passat the dealer and I agreed on a price but typed a different price and asked me to sign it.) :icon_evil

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah, I agree with everyone. Stealing is wrong........Thats why you should get some revenge on the biggest thieves of all..... the volkswagen service department:biglaugh:

If I knew they were the right parts I probably would have taken him up on it. But we all gotta live with our decisions I guess, so you probably made the right one for you.:)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Why is everyone @ss-uming that these parts are going to be stolen?
it is *possible* that his camera comment refers to the fact that he is buying parts himself and he doesnt own that particular car or that the camera might catch him giving you the parts when you arrive?
I agree that stolen parts is def not happenin' but it seems everyone is quick to jump on the bandwagon about this. If they were going to be stolen dont you think he would be leary of even having the conversations over company phones, which he clearly did on more than one occasion?

just seems funny that everyone is complainng heavily about someone stealing from the 'stealership' who 'steals' money from all of us on a daily basis.....
isnt turn about fair play? I know I've been jacked by dealerships on a few occasions, mainly Mistubishi though, lol.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I smell a "group buy".

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
nugglife4me said:
Why is everyone @ss-uming that these parts are going to be stolen?
Parts at 1/2 the dealership price isn't a smoking gun: there are lots of online shops with great prices...

What's strange is the guy's ability to get parts at these prices in just one day.

The only other possible explanation I can figure is that one of the internet parts stores' warehouses is located down the street & he's doing a walk-in purchase.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
pete1 said:
The only other possible explanation I can figure is that one of the internet parts stores' warehouses is located down the street & he's doing a walk-in purchase.
And the camera comment might be for when he actually sells these parts [from another shop] to you on the dealership premises. You don't know he is stealing for sure.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
I guess I'd have said no thanks too, since he appears to be doing something shady. If he weren't, what difference does it make if there are cameras. No discount is worth my integrity.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts