Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have not read my little saga before, to make a long story short, last week I traded my '03 6-speed W8 variant for my godmother's '00 GLS V6 5-spd. I owned the '00 Passat when it was new and now have it again due to reasons that are irrelevant to this post. It only has 36k miles on it.

Anyway - since I have had it (approximately a week) it seems to be idling quite a bit more roughly than it used to when I owned it. And I do not remember the engine being as loud (from inside AND outside the car) as it is now. My judgement could be skewed because I have owned a Saab, 2 Audis, and a W8 in the interim, but I would swear that the engine is just not as smooth.

I know this could be nothing more than wear and tear - but after only 36k miles???? And I know for a fact she kept up with the regular maintenance - I have the records from Concours Motors in Milwaukee.

Before we exchanged cars, she went ahead and had the 40k mile (>$500!) service done although it only had 34k miles. From the records, I can tell that she had the following list of procedures done.

A. 40k mile tune-up including:
"5051" fault code scan; vehicle inspection; replace air, pollen, and fuel filters; replace spark plugs; check battery electrolyte levels and road test vehicle

B. Recalls
WE12 Replace secondary air vacuum line
WK13 Replace Wheelhouse Liner

C. VLOF Lube/Oil/ Filter Service
VW motor oil - whereas she had requested synthetic before this service

D. Braking System Flush and System Inspection
Brake Fluid Replaced

NOW - Since I got it back, the only thing I have done is shocks, wheels, tires and bulbs.....all of which were subsequent to my noticing it was running less smoothly than it did when I had this car.

Any ideas? Anyone? Am I being paranoid about normal wear and tear on the car?

~Aaron~

·
Registered
991 Posts
I think... you have been spoiled by the W8. :lol:

That was the car that I wanted, in exchange for my 2000 GLX 4 Motion variant, but I couldn't not afford it (so the wife said :roll: )

My co-worker at work just bought a slightly used W8 variant with 6-speed manual. I am now insanely jealous! :shock:

Sorry, this really didn't help your situation. However, I think that you are indeed used to other nicer cars in the interim and cannot remember how it was.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
i agree mabey you just dont remeber what it sounds like

when i get back in my 97 jetta it curles my toes that i drove that car

if your really parnoid take a look under neath the car for muffler holes or something

·
Registered
718 Posts
maybe it just needs plugs and wires....maybe run some fuel system cleaner through it. Did your godmother drive it in the city a lot? maybe its just carboned up and needs to be run pretty hard or run on an engine vac. I usually get all my cars run on an engine vac every so often to get the carbon cleaned out of the engine and from around the throttle body.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Check the plastic vacuum lines. I was trying to remove one on my 99 V6 and broke it. The engine heat makes them become very brittle. Once I replaced them all, the car ran smoother than I remembered it ever being (I got it used and I had already replaced almost all the 3.5mm rubber lines).

·
Registered
81 Posts
I dont know man, I dont think you are parnoid. I have a 99 5speed v6 that just turned over 126,000 and it is quiet and as smoth as can be. And yours only has 36k? I smell a rat :suspicio: . Could be as simple as changeing spark plugs and wires.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

All the spark plugs, etc were just changed. I am curious about this vacuum line issue.

Ima have to check into that. But the godmother did do an awful lot of city driving. How else would she jave kept the mileage down so low?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
now work with me here, i noticed putting 17's on my GTI a while back that it seemed to run noisyer and more rough, it felt like the engine , yet i changed the tires and the noise was no longer :crazy: try and see :poke: :eek:h:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no - this is not the case with me. I heard the increased noise level before and after changing the wheels/tires. It has nothing to do with that - it's definitely engine noise. No biggie, though. I'm not worried. I liked the response above - "If something is really wrong the CEL will come on" :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts