Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm newly armed with a repair manual!

My local AutoZone carries the Mobil1 0w40. So right after I change my spark plugs tomorrow, I will attempt my first oil change. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Going to order a case of Mann filters from Germanfilters.com. In the meantime, how would a Mobil1 filter work? Stealership isn't convenient or I'd go OEM. Opinions?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Going to order a case of Mann filters from Germanfilters.com. In the meantime, how would a Mobil1 filter work? Stealership isn't convenient or I'd go OEM. Opinions?
purlator is what ive been using on both my passats since they were off warranty

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, I just did mine the other day.

Like they said above, take those three screws out and unplug the sensor on the bottom of the coolant tank. Make sure you get some rags or something under the filter and up to the block because, yes, oil is going to come out. Not a ton but enough to make a mess.

For some reason the moron that last changed the oil had my filter on tight enough to last the next 100 years. Plus the oring wasn't lubed. Rub some oil on that ring, so the next time you take it off it wont be stuck!

Other than that, make sure you fill the new filter partially full of oil too before you put it on. Dont fill it all the way since it will just spill out as you put it on.

Well, good luck, and make sure you dont forget to put oil in before you start it! :lol:

·
Registered
464 Posts
I never had to unattach anything to remove my filters from the top on my 1.8T and I generally used the diptsick pump I use for my boats to drain the oil, though I did drain via the plug on a couple occasions.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
I never had to unattach anything to remove my filters from the top on my 1.8T and I generally used the diptsick pump I use for my boats to drain the oil, though I did drain via the plug on a couple occasions.
Possibly worlds skinniest arms right there. I can get maybe 1/4 the way up my arms in there.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
for the amount of times i have to do my oil changes on my two V-6 passats ,every 5000 miles ,appx. 2-3 times a year, ill go underneath it with ramps to do oil changes,not too tough to r & r belly pan and while im under there check out cv boots,seals, and other items for leakage,easy pre-ventive maint. item to do while oil is draining instead of being lazy and doing it from above w/oil extractor pump!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just remove the intake hose to the throttle body to provide more room to get my arm in there. I put a towel underneath the filter to prevent spilling oil all over and once it's spun off I pull it out through the top.

·
Registered
635 Posts
^ ditto, but I also put a large ziploc bag on the filter when screwing it off as it catches most of it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
^ ditto, but I also put a large ziploc bag on the filter when screwing it off as it catches most of it.
I prefer a large plastic shopping bag with handles, like from Kohl's or Target. Using such a bag this weekend, I had the cleanest oil filter removal yet (after trying ziploc bags, small plastic bags, even a partially cut milk carton).

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I prefer a large plastic shopping bag with handles, like from Kohl's or Target. Using such a bag this weekend, I had the cleanest oil filter removal yet (after trying ziploc bags, small plastic bags, even a partially cut milk carton).

I'll have to give that a try. The small plastic bags and milk carton work, but both have issues. Maybe the handles on the shopping bag make the difference - too bad I just changed the oil last week and will have to wait 6 months to try it!

8,184 Posts
LOL...look at the oil weight...she owns a V6. its the easy to do and the plug is right beside the oil filter. a 17mm socket and bam your pooring oil out...but get I can't think but something to loosen the oil filter...you will need it

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Naw, mine is a 4cyl turbo.....

Haven't gotten to change the oil yet. Christmas is holding me hostage! :rolleyes:

Got the stuff though and I went ahead with the Purolator filter. Thanks for all your help guys. I'll keep you posted. BTW, I did a spark plug change the other day trying to solve some CEL engine codes and it was super easy. Didn't solve my problem though so the next thing to try will be the MAF (P1128) and probably the ignition coils.......:(

1 - 20 of 34 Posts