1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Is this VWs plan to slowly edge Audi out of the market? :p

·
Registered
827 Posts
So pretty much VW is giving in to the idea that ppl dont want to be driving around in a car for $40k that looks the same as a car that is sold as $25k.. Which i think was the main complant with ppl owning the W8, most papers listed that as the main complant by W8 owners.

So this new "C1" might just come with a V6 as base and go up from there, which might be a good idea (seeing as the put in a better V6, maybe the Audi 3.0 V6 or a new VR6)

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Instead of trying to match MB, Audi and the like, they should iron out the wrinkles in how their Customer Care, or "Don't Care" and the dealer network treats those customers that VW wants to keep in the fold buying those bigger, more expensive cars....

·
Registered
897 Posts
MeinPassat said:
Instead of trying to match MB, Audi and the like, they should iron out the wrinkles in how their Customer Care, or "Don't Care" and the dealer network treats those customers that VW wants to keep in the fold buying those bigger, more expensive cars....
I agree with you 100%, a great car has to be also matched by Customer Service and Dealerships. Read my "water collecting after windsheild change". Car now smells bad and its only 4 months old! They should fix those customer and dealer issues first before producing a A6 & 5 Series rival.

·
Registered
66 Posts
hmmm

my opinion is that vw will never edge out Audi, vw is the working man´s audi. I am over here in germany and audi is a BIG step and Big income step above the VW´s. Don´t get me wrong, but VW will always fall next in line unless they tighten up there stuff. No real performance or luxury with the passat compared to the Audi´s or BMW´s. The W8 was a stab at making a change but not enough for me, and VW realized it and now they are getting rid of it and doing what they need to do and should have done along time ago. Bring in the V6 turbo and give Audi a run. I know every car has there issues, but come on and look at the passat 3bg´s (b5.5). I have buds over here that had 3 coil pack replacements before they got it right and they are still nervous on long trips. :crazy: VW needs to stand up and stop being so cheap. We are loyal to VW, why can´t they do the same for the car owners? I hope the passat gets a new image as well as VW. I don´t know though, they screwed up the golf, if you haven´t seen the golf 5 check it out. I saw the pics of the new passat and I like the variant, hope it actually looks that good.

·
Banned
1,631 Posts
Zuhaib said:
So pretty much VW is giving in to the idea that ppl dont want to be driving around in a car for $40k that looks the same as a car that is sold as $25k.. Which i think was the main complant with ppl owning the W8, most papers listed that as the main complant by W8 owners.

So this new "C1" might just come with a V6 as base and go up from there, which might be a good idea (seeing as the put in a better V6, maybe the Audi 3.0 V6 or a new VR6)
I think another reason the W8 is not doing very well is the advertising. I've only seen ONE W8 commercial and it was really dumb (the guy racing the kid on the bicycle). If it's supposed to be their flagship car in North America, they should have promoted it heavily, concentrating more on performance, comfort, and luxury.

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
Sales of both VW's upmarket Passat W8, which sells for about $40,000 in the United States, and the $70,000 Phaeton introduced last year, have been disappointing.
What do they mean the sales of the Phaeton in the United States is dissappointing as far as i know they are not for sale here yet
Am i wrong?

·
Registered
346 Posts
rollininstyle2004 said:
Sales of both VW's upmarket Passat W8, which sells for about $40,000 in the United States, and the $70,000 Phaeton introduced last year, have been disappointing.
What do they mean the sales of the Phaeton in the United States is dissappointing as far as i know they are not for sale here yet
Am i wrong?
I think he means that W8 Sales in the USA were disappointing, as were worldwide Phaeton sales...

·
Registered
621 Posts
stealthx32 said:
Is this VWs plan to slowly edge Audi out of the market?
So how much cash could VW generate by spinning-off Audi? It might make for a nice bump to the share price.

TGH

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
ThosHrubecky said:
stealthx32 said:
Is this VWs plan to slowly edge Audi out of the market?
So how much cash could VW generate by spinning-off Audi? It might make for a nice bump to the share price.

TGH
Spinning off Audi won't get them anyhere. After all, it was Audi's engineering that brought a few things to market: Quattro, 5 valve heads, and the TDI to name a few.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Auto Union (AUDI) has been around for quite sometime, I believe before Volkswagen was formed during WWII (correct me if I'm wrong, I might be). There is no way VW would "phase out" the Audi nameplate, it would be a huge mistake on all accounts. As far as being a big leap from VW to Audi? Well, true for most of the offerings, but people do cross-shop A4's and Passat's all the time here in the states. Granted, though I used to feel there wasn't a huge difference between my Passat GLX 4-Mo and my mother's A6, I have gradually begun to notice small differences, in build quality, service, and performance (on all levels). But what do you expect for a $10,000 bump in price? There better be something there besides a name (Audi) for $10,000. :wink:

Regardless, for the money, most VW's offer an incredible value when you consider how much they have in common with their luxury counterparts. (Golf, GTI, Jetta ---> A3, TT; Passat---> previous gen A4; etc.)I'm not complaining.... 8)

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Zuhaib said:

Let's face it, even within the confines of our beloved VW owners, not all consumers are exactly the brightest bulbs in the strand. Why pay $10,000 more for an E500 vs an E320 ? A 540 vs a 530 ?? Hell, why pay $37,500 for a "Mark Levinson" edition ES300 when a Camry XLE V6 can be had for $29,000 ?? "It's a Lexus" is the answer I get... :roll: As for me, I love the looks of the Passat,no matter what engine is in it. Let's see how their marketing can fuck this up too....

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Zuhaib said:
Funny, that is exectly the thing I love the most about the W8! I have always been a fan of stealth power...I don't like to roll around in the flashiest, most noticeable ride in the world. While all the kids in high school were drooling over everything from IROC Z28s and Ferraris, I was drooling over stealth mobiles from BMW M-Cars to GTIs.

The idea of having a mid-size sedan, looking not too different from other stock sedans...but just seeing little hints of extra power lurking underneath, is something I absolutely love. BMW's M5 looks like a regular 5-series from a distance, maybe with flash rims...but looking at the details, you start to notice the bigger brakes, the bigger air inlets in front, the extra exhaust, etc. AMG Mercedes also hide their supremacy beneath normal luxury car dress...little on the outside tells you that an $80,000 E55 is different from a $48,000 E320...just small clues and little hints that peek out.

The W8 is designed in the fine tradition of every other German performance sedan - take your existing model, and make functional changes to increase power and performance while not advertising it to the world with graphics and add-on baubles. S4, S6, E55, C32, S55, M3, M5, M6, Boxster S, and W8 all acheive this stealthy, stately modification of the car on which it was based while maintaining the overall cleanliness and goodness of the original design.

VW dropped the ball by failing to advertise the car...no question that was where the problem was.

The move to create a new model to slot in between may help sell more models to those people who want more image and flash to show what they spent their money on - some people want Lexi & Mercedes, Rolexes, and Crystal because it advertises your position in the world, and having a separate model would solve that problem. They will still need to advertise it, to let people estabilish an expectation of luxury or status with it.

But it unfortunately would leave some of us hunting for another option. Those of us who like stealth power will want a special edition of the new sedan - something that stands a hair above the primary model...but doesn't scream for attention. Otherwise, the shopping list may pare down to other manufacturers like BMW or Audi who are still willing to support classic German performance designs (or Alfa Romeo, if their return to the US includes high performance GTA editions!).

But hey, I'm weird. Maybe noone wants to spend money on a stealth car anymore. Heck, the last M3 got a little to 'flashy' and rlcey looking for my taste...obviously trying to satisfy a public demand for more overt flashiness. The days of Omni GLHs, VW GTIs, Buick GNXs, BMW M3s, and other stealth performance cars looking much like their more innocent civilians are over. The days of subtlety are behind us, and the future is approaching Fast N Furious style...wings and flash galore. Maybe the future of modding for me is to DE-mod a new car - pushing fenders back in, downsizing rims, taking off wings and filling intake holes, de-spoilering, peeling off decals and stripes... :crazy: :wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts