Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i went to the VW stealership to get gasket for throttle body and asked the gauy if he has Coolant Temperature Sensor in stock (the new ones) while i have a black one still sitting in my car i want to repalce it, so he gave me one for....$20 (what a ripoffs), anyway the one he gave me is actually a Blue color, is it even someting worth to put in or i should definitelly get the green one like those on ecstuning.com website for around $6?
Thanks
P.S. what would be the simptoms of this Coolant Temperature Sensor failure?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
dronek75 said:
Today i went to the VW stealership to get gasket for throttle body and asked the gauy if he has Coolant Temperature Sensor in stock (the new ones) while i have a black one still sitting in my car i want to repalce it, so he gave me one for....$20 (what a ripoffs), anyway the one he gave me is actually a Blue color, is it even someting worth to put in or i should definitelly get the green one like those on ecstuning.com website for around $6?
Thanks
P.S. what would be the simptoms of this Coolant Temperature Sensor failure?
My B5 is 1999 1.8T with 70K on it

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
The blue one was a MKIV fitment, right? The harness is different, iirc. I got a blue one the first time I asked for one at the dealer too...

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
stealthx32 said:
The blue one was a MKIV fitment, right? The harness is different, iirc. I got a blue one the first time I asked for one at the dealer too...
No, just older cars in general.

They were used on B5s, A4s, Eurovans, etc.

You are correct that the plug is different. They are otherwise very similar except that the blue ones are typically much less troublesome.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sharky said:
If you had a black one, you need a green one.

If you had a blue one, you can only use blue.
I don't get it...guy at stealership told me that he is positive about the blue one that i need for my 99 1.8T after i asked him why is this blue one if i want a green one :???: so can i use it after all?

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
dronek75 said:
Sharky said:
If you had a black one, you need a green one.

If you had a blue one, you can only use blue.
I don't get it...guy at stealership told me that he is positive about the blue one that i need for my 99 1.8T after i asked him why is this blue one if i want a green one :???: so can i use it after all?
Look at the connectors of each sensor.

The blue one will be square.

The black and/or green one will be square with one side of it in a semicircle.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sharky said:
stealthx32 said:
No, just older cars in general.

They were used on B5s, A4s, Eurovans, etc.

You are correct that the plug is different. They are otherwise very similar except that the blue ones are typically much less troublesome.
so what are the signs of coolant temperature sensor failure, It's Blue one that i needed, i didn't put it it yet tho.
Thanks

·
Fore!
1,565 Posts
Vag group 17 should tell you something like "coolant temp sensor unable to read intermittent" or something like that. That's what mine did. Went away after the replacement, no codes since.

I think if you vag it and don't get a code it should be ok.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.