Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Superbad
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
99 1.8T FWD AEB ~ 137k miles

Symptoms: Excessive blue smoke from exhaust when engine warm. Will smoke while in Drive sitting in traffic, when starting, in idle or in parked sometimes. Diagnosis Blow-by and bad rings. (car still boost 21-22psi and holds 20) (LTFT 0.8% / 3.9%) (No Oil in Plugs, plug's looking a little on the Lean side) OEM oversized filter + 5w40 Lubro Moly. I do top it off 1/2 quart every 2 weeks.

Compression Test Dry:

Cyl 1 Cyl 2 Cyl 3 Cyl 4

155 155 151 170

Compression Test Wet:

Cyl 1 Cyl 2 Cyl 3 Cyl 4

170 170 160 180

Leak Down Test: % Leak

Cyl 1 Cyl 2 Cyl 3 Cyl 4

40% 40% 30% 30%

Mods:
BW K04-015
GIAC K04 PC-16
315cc Genesis Injectors
Custom FMIC
034 2.5" TP
TT 2.5" Downpipe
2.5" Jetex Catback
Forge 007 DV (yellow spring)
NGK BKR7E gapped @ .028"
APR Silicone TIP
ECS Tuning AFPR set @ 2.7(39.5PSI) Bar and sometimes 3.0 Bar (44PSI)
ABD Tuning CAI w/ Blinktek Heatshield
Neuspeed 28mm Rear Anti Sway Bar

Where do i stand? I pretty much covered all the major maintenance. Only option would be a bottom end rebuild (replace rings/rod bearings/main bearings/re-hone cylinder walls to OEM Spec + oil pump + headgasket+assorted bits in that area minus the head) and keep the rest as is or do nothing and let it smoke.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
You would need to measure the bore to see if you can even reuse the stock pistons and ring size, the block may be worn out.

·
Superbad
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You would need to measure the bore to see if you can even reuse the stock pistons and ring size, the block may be worn out.
cylinders will need to be mic'ed (sp?) and honed, not necessarily over bored. overbored only if they dont mic out correct?

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
137K is pretty low mileage to have bad rings on a Passat. How is the PCV system?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
PZ is right, might want to check other systems that might have contributed to the issue. Otherwise you might find yourself in the same boat down the road and a lower end tear down is not fun; I did it on my Corrado back in the days.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
PZ is right, might want to check other systems that might have contributed to the issue. Otherwise you might find yourself in the same boat down the road and a lower end tear down is not fun; I did it on my Corrado back in the days. :thumbdown

1 - 6 of 6 Posts