Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
15,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the main administrator the Club B5 web site and discussion forums, I appointed atomicalex as an assistant administrator over the summer because she is an outstanding and very proactive person in our Passat community. This also means she has earned my utmost trust and respect, therefore I trust her judgment in decision-making.

Lately there has been a lot of unrest on the forums. About a month or so ago, a group of members decided to "challenge" the Club B5 staff regarding our rules because they felt some of our decision-making was biased. They would look for holes in the rules and try to get away with as much as they possibly could. This grew extremely old in a short while because Club B5 is an Internet community, not a babysitting service, and my job is to keep this community healthy and entertaining for the membership. Once we, the Club B5 staff, realized that their enthusiasm and respect for the web site diminished, and that their intensions were no longer to help this community grow, it was clear to us that we had to revoke their posting privileges. At first it was going to be a temporary thing, but when they responded in an immature manner by using vulgar language, bashing our community (specifically atomicalex and I), and threatening our existence, it only showed us that we had indeed made a wise decision. My response to everything can be summed up by the 2 following snippets from the Club B5 Code of Conduct that was published 2-3 years ago:

It is a labor of love for a few people who devote time, effort and financial resources to its maintenance and upkeep. Club B5 is not a democracy, it is a community. As such, we reserve the right to define and, if necessary, enforce, our shared values. We recognize that our shared knowledge is a great asset to our membership.
To summarize, we are here primarily to determine and share knowledge about our cars. We invite and appreciate genuine debate that leads to a better understanding of our cars. We insist upon civility and mutual respect. Provided we understand this fact and keep it central to our participation here, Club B5 will continue to be a comfortable oasis that is distinct from many Internet web sites. As the stewards of these principles, the Club B5 staff makes no apologies about how we maintain this site. Participation is voluntary.
The entire Code of Conduct, Mission Statement and Club Rules can be found here, http://www.clubb5.com/missionstatement/index.shtml, and I encourage every active member to review it once again. Basically, this group of Passat “enthusiasts” did exactly the opposite of those snippets, and it is for that reason why they are no longer with us today. It was a difficult thing to do because I considered most of these people buddies, but it had to be done in order to preserve a healthy Passat-oriented community.

Keep in mind that we decided to open up the non-Passat related forums (like the Off-Topic, the Black Hole and Anything Auto) in order to spice up our community. I consider these forums privileges because our main focus is, and should be, the Passat and anything related to it. So if these non-Passat related forums become breeding grounds for hatred and animosity between Club B5 members, I will not hesitate to get rid of them.

I encourage you to post any questions or comments that you may have here, but I WILL NOT discuss whom these members are or what exactly they did, and I will not tolerate anyone else bringing them up. Consider yourself warned as of now. It is water under the bridge for me and I wish all of them the best of luck in life, and with their beloved cars. I would like to officially close the book on this issue now.

I am dedicated to making our community grow, and I hope this shows that I am willing to do whatever it takes in order to maintain a healthy and entertaining community.

Thank you for your time, and happy posting!

Regards,
Thanasi aka The GREEK

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Thank you for the clarification and for continuing your support of this site. :thumbup:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I visit this site multiple times a day and love the information I get out of it. :thumbup:
Without this site, my B5.5 wouldn't be what it is today. :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
As a newer member, still idling in "neutral", I am very pleased with this site, it's layout and information, and the quality of people I've met through it and my first gtg. Keep up the great work. :thumbup:

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Thanks for the explanation, Thanasi. That helps a lot. Keep up the good work, this community is a blessing. :heart:

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
No explanation needed as far as I'm concerned. I've always been well aware that I'm in your house. Now let's get them Giants winning! :thumbup:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thanasi, an organization always reflects it's leader. This website is like no other, which is a good thing. Thank you for starting this unique community and for staying actively involved. You and the moderators have done a good job.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I support your views and feel that this community is what it is due to these views. There are plenty of less user-friendly communities out there for those that choose to be immature and/or hostile.
I feel fortunate in finding Club B5, and owe a lot to quite a few members for all of the knowledge I've gained.
Keep up all the good work! 8)

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Thanasi,

Every once in a while an event occurs that makes such a huge difference to something that it is bound to leave a legacy of greatness for years to come.

That event was the creation of this site, and it is recognized as a leader in the online VW community for advice and maturity. CB5 was built on mutual respect of all of the members.

I have been drawn to this site almost daily since I discovered it. I was drawn to it as a resource for my beloved car, stayed because of the excellent content and hold it in such high regards compared to other online communities because of the very people that make this such a great place.

This site inspired me to start the Rocky Mountain Club B5 local group to organize the local members of Club B5 to garage days, drives, GTG's and just plain ol meeting other good people here in Colorado.

I would never have such a rich experience with my car and friends I have made along the way if it were not for you and the other moderators making this place what it is.

For that, I am forever in your debt.

Thank you and keep up the dubbin!
Winston

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
There must be a reason for 10 000+ registered owners of same model of car.

I would say that this forum is not system where you MUST live your life and if you do not like it you will try to change it. This Forum is all about free will; you came by your own free will and if you do not like it anymore do not come back.
You can not change new DJ in your favorite club just because you do not like his music, you just go away to other club.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanasi,

I am one of those members that doesn't have a high number in my "posts" counter, but have been an active member for almost 2 years (if there were a "posts read" counter, mine would easily top 100,000 :D ). I visit clubb5 daily, and thoroughly enjoy the atmosphere (a rare find on the internet these days). Thank you for "making the tough call" to keep this forum such an oasis.

Vince

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Nenad said:

I would say that this forum is not system where you MUST live your life and if you do not like it you will try to change it. This Forum is all about free will; you came by your own free will and if you do not like it anymore do not come back.
You can not change new DJ in your favorite club just because you do not like his music, you just go away to other club.
That is a negative.

If there was another "club" that would be fine, but it is not. I could care less about what happened last month, but I will admit "certain" members do get special treatment. You claim this is a community for all. Well as being the site admin, you and your moderators need to start enforcing that.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
AntWrig said:
Nenad said:

That is a negative.

If there was another "club" that would be fine, but it is not. I could care less about what happened last month, but I will admit "certain" members do get special treatment. You claim this is a community for all. Well as being the site admin, you and your moderators need to start enforcing that.
This IS exactly the point, disco club (or whatever) is also place for all, and it is sole owner or "handler" judgment on how it will be run. It is not on me or you to fight against it or to make fractions,cell, underground resistance, etc.. We can propose and that is about it, not to impone. Point is that people with time think that they have more rights to pretend on something, just because they are longer somewhere than the others. Old "game" of aborigeens-veterans and noobs, it does not make me better mechanic or whatever just because I am longer then you here.
It is like we would ask "why not me moderator but he?". Maybe people with "special" treatment are future moderator? To be equality for all is ultimate goal of democracy, but in "constitution" of this club-forum is written that this is not democracy but community.

·
Banned
15,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
AntWrig said:
Nenad said:

That is a negative.

Once again...
As the stewards of these principles, the Club B5 staff makes no apologies about how we maintain this site. Participation is voluntary.
If you feel some members receive better treatment, that is your opinion and you have every right to feel that way. Since it is directed to me, I will reply and tell you that I can assure you that it is NOT true.

·
Banned
15,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nenad said:
To be equality for all is ultimate goal of democracy, but in "constitution" of this club-forum is written that this is not democracy but community.
I'm glad SOMEONE has read the Code of Conduct! :wink:

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
The GREEK said:
Nenad said:
To be equality for all is ultimate goal of democracy, but in "constitution" of this club-forum is written that this is not democracy but community.
I'm glad SOMEONE has read the Code of Conduct! :wink:
And I take heart that it is clearly written as one who does not speak english first understands it so well. Thank you, Nenad. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts