Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I'm getting used to owning a passat, I've noticed two things that kinda bother me.

First, when the car is first started and cold, I noticed a little hesitation, hiccup, unevenness. It's only at low speed, like backing out of the garage, and it goes away as the car warms up. I don't really detect a miss, just more like surging. Any ideas? It's no huge deal, just curious.

Second, why is it when I floor the gas from a standstill it accelerates slower then when I only engage the throttle about an inch or two? It really feels kinda weird to floor it and have it feel so gutless, but just a bit of throttle and its rolling.

Now for the relevent info, '02 GLS 1.8T Tip, all stock until funds allow otherwise :D

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I have the same feeling when I floor it. I get 0-60 times over 10.5 sec. Mine is an almost stock '99AEB Tip. I have replaced the diverter valve and N75. My plugs are good.

After replacing a couple of parts, I've just decided that since it is running well, I will leave it. I am getting about 27 mpg with spring weather (no A/C, good traffic).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Although I have had it long enough to really lay down the miles, the computer is showing ~15 MPG for my short hops to and from school and ~26 on the freeway.

If it was just gutless I'd just say it was a lack of power, but it has power as long as you don't floor it. Thats whats weird :weirdo:

·
Registered
790 Posts
I've observed the same thing sometimes. Its probably a timing issue. Its pulling timing at full throttle, but not 3/4 throttle, presumably because of the extra boost. If you have a VAG-COM or access to one you can log timing pullback on a per cylinder basis and check if that is the problem.

-Ian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.