Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005.5 Passat 1.8t. Initially when I bought the car the first two years cost me ~4k (CAN) in repairs ranging from dirty throttle bodies, blown head gaskets (timing belt and plugs replaced as a result @ 72,000km), SAIP codes galore, torn serpentine belts (my own fault) and the ever so popular coolant flange via leaking cam gasket. Last bits of maintenance included a steering fluid flush and break fluid. CV axles were also replaced with Raxles.

Now enter this passed year. We haven't' had a single issue and every day has been flawless! Every week during my fuel up I check the engine and oil level and every oil change (moble 1 0w40 6500km or 4000 miles) I do a complete visual inspection of the engine and fluid levels.

Today I am sitting at 112,800 km or 70,000 miles and apart from the diary up above, what things should I be looking into maintenance wise? I am planning on changing the differential fluid shortly and have all the supplies to change the transmission fluid but she still shifts in and out of gears fine. Perhaps I am being paranoid with the car treating me so well.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,188 Posts
If you over-maintain a Passat, you'll spend a little more. If you under-maintain, you'll spend a LOT more. If you still have your owner's manual, there's a maintenance chart in there. If not, the Bentley manual has one, and Bentley has the same one viewable online free. Do everything on the chart, plus ATF changes at 60,000 miles; and change the interval on the timing belt from 105,000 to 80,000. Beyond that, just keep an eye on the car. For example, when you're changing the oil eyeball everything underneath. If something is wrong, fix it, like cracked CV boots. The joints last almost forever if you keep good boots on them, but the boots fail frequently.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Here's the maintenance schedule for your car. https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/display/tech/Maintenance+Schedule+-+2005+-+Passat%2C+Passat+Wagon

I agree with Scotts never ignore your Passat! Take care of her and she will be there for you. Sure things are going to need fixing from time to time, but that's life.
Being proactive I think is the key to maintaining any car and especially a German car.
Spend a little extra time looking and listening to your car while doing regular maintenance always pays off in the long run.
Drive with the stereo OFF once a week and listen for any abnormal sounds.
I even pop the hood every week when I wash the car and dry under the hood. Gives me a chance to look around, check the oil and other fluid levels.
A clean engine is a happy engine. Not to mention more fun to work on!
Don't let little issues linger, or they can become very costly.
Keep all the drains clean, sunroof, battery area drains, door drains.
There is No such thing as a "Life Time Fluid".
My experience with CV boots (outer boots) has been every 5-6 years they split, so my thinking is they should just be a maintenance item and just change them out before they split.
I'm on my 3rd set of boot's and my original CV joints are still in great condition. In your area due to the winters CV boot life may be a little shorter?
A belly pan/skid plate is not an optional item.
Since you live in a colder climate remember repetitive short trips do not give your oil time to burn of moisture. Even after the coolant temp gauge comes up to temp, it still takes a while longer for the oil to come up to temp and burn off any moisture, so take the long way to the store.
And I'm a believer in a bottle of Chevron Techron every 5000 miles and using top tier gas. it's just part of my oil change service, change the oil, put a bottle of Techron in the gas.

One last thing I have found it invaluable to own a Bentley Service manual and keep up with reading posts and how to's here on Passatworld. I read lots of posts just for background info and to learn what may come my way so I can head it off if possible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.