Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fellow Passat World dwellers!
My name is Mark F. and this is my first post on the forums!(Trumpet fanfare plays, confetti is thrown):D
My daily driver is a 2001.5 Passat GLS 1.8T Variant, Anthracite Blue with Charcoal cloth interior, Tiptronic transmission, heated seats but no sunroof. I love sunroofs for ventilation purposes, but I've done OK without one; I just always have to remember to crack my windows on warm/hot days otherwise that charcoal interior gets hotter than hell if you leave the windows up and it gets above 70 degrees. I'm rolling on 15 inch black powdercoat steelies with cheap plastic wheelcovers, real classy for sure.:lol: I'm going to upgrade to new all season performance tires and 17 inch five spoke rims in a couple of months though.
I have a couple of questions. They are kinda noobish so bear with me.
I got the car back in May from an independent Audi dealership in Boulder, CO. When I first found the car in late March, it had 61,800 miles. But I got smart and waited a couple of months. When they first listed it, they had it at $13,000. But when I bought the car in mid-May they had dropped the price to $11,000 and I negotiated it down to $10,750. So I got a hell of a deal on the car; I paid $2000 under blue book and it only had 120 more miles on the odometer than it had in March. I got about 25 mpg the first 3 months I owned the car, but it had typical turbo lag from a standing start to about 2000 rpm. So I swapped out the stock air filter for a K&N air filter, which I gave $45 for at the local Auto Zone. The K&N filter eliminated the turbo lag and gave it considerably zippier acceleration/passing power and better low end torque, but it knocked my gas mileage down to 23 to 24 mpg average, which is frustrating because I have a 50 mile commute every day and I think this car is capable of much better mileage. So I was wondering: if I chip the engine, besides getting better power/acceleration and removing that pesky speed limiter, will I get better gas mileage??? I don't want to do anything to the engine that is going to make my gas mileage worse than it already is. Any suggestions, reccomendations, and general help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.:D
Also, my turn signal has developed a strange habit. A few days ago it started making a strange buzzing noise whenever I put my signal on. Upon looking at it at home, whenever the turn signal stalk is partially compressed, a high pitched electrical warble comes out of the speaker head unit. Also my factory Monsoon audio system started intermittently making this noise as well while listening to the radio or my CD's. What the hell is going on here? Is it just a minor electrical relay problem or is there a more serious issue at hand here? Again, any suggestions/reccomendations/general help would be greatly appreciated.
Despite having to replace two worn out vacuum hoses and the front right CV joint in the first five months of owning this car, it has so far been very reliable and it's a hoot to drive! I don't understand why people put down the Tiptronic transmission so much; I admit I was a little unsure about it at first, but it just keeps growing on me. I like the fact that I can just put it in drive in the city and fugheddaboutit, but on the twisty, hilly highways (which Colorado has quite a few of, even out here on the Eastern Plains) I can row my own gears for maximum driving fun. This car never fails to put a smile on my face when I'm carving curves on twisty mountain roads like I was driving a sports car rather than a station wagon, or accelerate onto the freeway and the turbo sings like a slightly detuned Porsche six cylinder as it peaks at redline. I accidentally topped the car out at 131 mph while passing a convoy of six semis on I-76, and I didn't even realize I was going that fast until I realized the steering was feeling a little floaty and I looked down at the speedometer!:icon_eek: But it was so amazingly composed it felt like it did when I was driving my Mom's old Malibu at 80 mph! I gotta give the Germans credit there for developing cars that have the driving composure and stability at 130 mph that an American car has at 80 mph!
Anyway, that's all 4 now. Peace out, PW dwellers, and
V-Dubs rock!:thumbup:

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Welcome Mark. I'm not going to tackle your turn-signal/Monsoon question, but I bet there are lots of people in the Electronics Forum who know the answer.

Regarding chipped mpg, chipping doesn't adversely impact your mpg per se, but your right foot may impact your mpg once you get chipped. I've driven my 99 GLS 110,000 miles with a chip, and I average 23 in the city and about 32 on the freeway.

Again, welcome to the Club!

Kenny

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
As far as the turn signal... this falls under the "Doc, it hurts when I do this" catagory.

"Don't do it":)

Just push it a little further. It's just not making a good connection and is completely normal. You get used to how far it moves after driving it a bit.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,503 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Mark. I hope you replaced the bad vacuum lines with good high-temperature silicone material, which should be a lifetime repair.

I concur that the tiptronic is great.

The handling and road manners ARE good. My wife, who is definitely not mechanically inclined, even commented on how well the car handles and how much she enjoys driving it.

Don't worry about turn signal; mine does that frequently, particularly on right turns.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Welcome to PW! :)

The K&N filter is a "holy war" topic around here... some swear it's the best filter ever, while others will warn about the filter oil gumming up the MAF sensor. IMO, the performance gain from the K&N was mostly due to replacing a dirty filter with a clean one.

Get a chip, (and a new diverter valve, and upgraded shocks) -- you won't regret it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts