Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I aspire to awesomeness
764 Posts
Thanks, I hope so too. Next a good pressure wash then the pan comes off to take some measurements.
I have had to postpone pulling and rebuilding my engine. So I am following and will be interested to share what you find especially with regard to tolerances and the oil spray jets.

Can you tell me how you test the oil squarters or if my 2002 1.8 passat AWM even has them? I'm pulling the moter to checck bearing and replace the oil pump and pick-up tube.

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,159 Posts
Nice. I'd tackle the PCV system while the motor is out as well as the coolant flange and any other PITA things when it's in the car.

If you have sons, they should be out there helping you--this would be an invaluable learning experience for them. And if the kids don't appreciate all you are doing, then just sell the car and spend the money on yourself.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I didn't see this before, but seriously consider removing the hood altogether when you put the engine back in. It's 4 bolts and some unclipping of the WW nozzle lines.

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,711 Posts
There is no point to pulling the hood, I've done countless motor pulls and installs in Passats and never pulled the hood for any of them and never had the hood in the way either

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,768 Posts
From the looks of it, the hood was already removed to make way for the overhead apparatus.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes pulled the hood for the over head hoist, My son and I did the timming belt, water pump, idler and tensioner together with football and school I have been letting him slack off a bit, but now footballs over for him back to work on the car.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I can remember back to the 4 short years ago my dad taught me how to change the oil and brakes the first time... good times. Probably why I love cars and wrenching on them so much now.

Good luck with the rebuild.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Sigh, I should definitely pay more attention to pics (great head hoist by the way!).

FWIW, my father taught me how to make piston sand castings and how to cross-hone cylinders among many other things that are impractical to have as skills today but what I did learn was the importance of precision, refinement, attention to detail, durability and quality, all of which have remained relevant and useful as life skills to this day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts