Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 of my dash vents don't work right. The horizontal plastic pieces don't close correctly when I use the roller knob to close or open them. From this forum, I've noticed that it is possible to pry them out to replace lights behind them. I'm just wondering if anyone has pulled them out to fix the problem I'm describing? If so, how difficult was it? Also, I've checked for replacement vents, but didn't come across any. Anyone replaced theirs?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I had a couple that were like that when I bought it. But they weren't actually broken. There is a little hole that keeps them in place and they'd just somehow popped out. I popped them in and they've been fine since. Check to make sure they not just out of place. If they are they won't work right.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
324 Posts
SouperSport said:
I had a couple that were like that when I bought it. But they weren't actually broken. There is a little hole that keeps them in place and they'd just somehow popped out. I popped them in and they've been fine since. Check to make sure they not just out of place. If they are they won't work right.

Hope this helps.
Yes, this happened to me as well , i just popped them back into place & have had no probs with is since ! :lol:

·
Registered
26 Posts
vent not closing

There are two sets of vent louvers on the vent. The outter ones and an inner one. The knob on the side closes both of these. The wheel itself will come off very easily. What I had found with mine is that a piece of plastic that holds the gear in place (inside the wheel) had broken off. I carefully drilled out the hole where this 'tab' broke off and glued a toothpick into the hole, This then became the 'pin' or 'tab' that the gear turned on and well worked fine.

K

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just did the same thing but I used some knitting needles i bought from Wally World and slid them in there and works perfect for me. The needles look like big nails and just take that little brass gear into the store and find the one it fits best on and then drill out the spot where it is broken on the vent and insert. I used that plastic epoxy on mine. I will try and put up some pics sometime tonight.

·
Banned
1,631 Posts
My vent is screwed up too. The light kept going out and I had to keep tapping it to get it to work. One day, I was pissed off at it and tapped it too hard (maybe I punched it :oops:) and I cannot open or close it anymore. There is a writeup in the Information forum on how to remove the vent housing and replace the bulb, but the pics no longer work. When I'm brave enough, I'll take mine apart and post them up.

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57708

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
hoypinoy1234
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing